question

sy-oxygen avatar image
sy-oxygen asked

48v LFP to 12v AGM charging, Orion converter and smart charger in series?

I have a sailboat that I’m planning to install a third party 48v LFP battery bank for the electric motor with a 12v AGM house battery. There are a lot of questions on this forum about using an Orion-Tr Isolated 48/12 converter as a battery to battery charger, and that answer is no. But what about using the converter output as the input on an Orion Tr Smart Non-Isolated 12/12 charger?

So, 48v LFP battery to 48/12 isolated converter to 12/12 non-isolated charger to 12v AGM battery. Would that work to get smart multi-stage battery to battery charging? If it helps the AGM batteries last an extra year it will be worth the expense.

battery chargingLithium Batteryorion-tr smartorion dc-dc
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·

That combo should work or maybe just a 75/10 MPPT SCC between the battery banks?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@sy-oxygen

The 48/12 Orion can be used as a charger. Back in the days before the Smart Orions the literature said so, but that was changed to encourage buyers to go with the new 'Charger' name and functionality. Unfortunately the 48V units got included, but don't have a Smart successor.

They can be set to a flat charge V, and I've been using one for some 6 years to daily charge some very old fla's. I use 13.6V (13.8V in winter), and switch it in via it's Remote terminal using Multiplus Assistants (on house bank V, SOC and genset status).

I never bothered with a full charge curve, and those batts are > 10yo.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.