question

alfredo avatar image
alfredo asked

Multiplus II 48/3000 PMP482305000 and PMP482305010 parallel compatibility.

Hello all!,

I was wondering if it is possible to run in parallel the diferent hardware revisions of the Multiplus II 48/3000 PMP482305000 and PMP482305010.

Also I would like to know if PMP482305000, the older one still in production and comercially available.

Best regards.

Multiplus-IIbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Alfredo,

No, it is not possible to run these two different hardware revisions together in multiphase or parallel systems.

The PMP482305000 is no longer in production, and is no longer being sent to distributors by Victron.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alfredo avatar image alfredo commented ·

Thanks for your answer Guy. Let me one more question... what about the classic line of multiplus? Are them planned to still in production in medium or long term?

Best regards.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ alfredo commented ·

I am not in a position to know or give an official answer to this.

I personally don't know of any plans to stop production.

0 Likes 0 ·
Noisy Boysie avatar image Noisy Boysie Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

so to all your existing customers that you have now landed in hot water how are to tell when we are at the point of purchasing a second unit to add to an existing unit how are we supposed to know if what we are buying is new stock or old stock? mine is for example a MultiplusII/48/3000/35-32 product ID 2629....if I cant tell if the unitl will match based on the product name how do i tell if it will work before purchase? Or even if i have new old stock in the first place. what a total mess and really now worried I wont be able to expand becasue you mid way through broke backward compatability with the same product, very poor service i must say

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Noisy Boysie commented ·

Hi @Mark Boys

Please note that we always help customers in these situations.

ps. the 2629 is the latest version and will be available for a very long time. it's only the first few hardware revisions that are not compatible, and if you have one of those and want to expand, we help with that.

here's a document about the early versions vs latest:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/MultiPlus-II-to-MultiGrid-and-MultiPlus-comparison-EN.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
esterne avatar image esterne commented ·

This is a very bad move from Victron.

Any existing site upgradeability has just been cut off. ( Ie can't add any further Multi's in parallel ).

What is Victron's plan, when you need to replace a faulty unit ( Multiplus II pmp482305000 ) in a site where there are a couple of units running in parallel and or on multiple phases ???

The only option I see is that Victron is going to have to release a firmware that may limit the functionality of the pmp482305010, so that it would be compatible to pmp482305000 in existing sites ?

Or is there something I'm missing ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ esterne commented ·

In a 3 phase or parallel installation we will treat the MultiPlus-II's as a whole and if it is a warrantied fault, we would replace them.

I have already done this on one occasion.

While I can sympathise that it can be a frustrating limitation of the design to require hardware identical units, the 3 phase/parallel manual is clear on this, and there will be no work around.

There are certainly still units out there in the world, new in the box. There are still the preceding multigrid hardware out there on shelves.

I would begin with your local Victron distributors, being very specific with the circumstances and the exact hardware revision model that you want. Then persist and expand the search, there will be some out there, but you will have to look to find them.

0 Likes 0 ·
esterne avatar image esterne Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for the speedy answer.

And I 100% agree the manual is very clear on the requirements.

What is really painful to accept is that an existing system that is not even 6 months old is now obsolete. I want to add another Multiplus II to my system that already has 3x and I bought the exact same model being : Multiplus-II 48/3000/35. Which now doesn't work. Not my fault ( I ordered the exact same model ), not the supplier's fault( They supplied me with what Victron gave them). But I have a lovely blue box that is useless to me.

Victron has made a hardware change to the model without considering its existing clients.

There should be a compatible firmware, or Victron should have named the new version something else so that its existing customer still have a growth path etc.

This kind of version/naming nonsense is typical of cheap Chinese products, and not expected from a reputable manufacturer.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic