question

catta12 avatar image
catta12 asked

Cerbo GX not connecting to IP65 Smart Shunt

I have a Cerbo GX connected via ve direct to an IP65 SS, but it's not recognizing it. The shunt shows up in VConnect fine. Both are on the newest firmware. The Cerbo connects to an MPPT fine via ve direct. I swapped cables and no change. Any ideas?

cerbo gxSmartShuntip65
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nathan17 avatar image nathan17 commented ·

I have the same problem with the IP65 SmartShunt.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
sas avatar image sas commented ·

I have the same problem with the IP65 SmartShunt.
My SmartShunt IP65 only delivers 2.65V supply voltage to VE.Direct.
I think that's not enough.

0 Likes 0 ·

I have tested a second SmartShunt IP65.
2.69V on VE.Direct - no connection to Cerbo.
I think the IP65 have a problem with VE.Direct.
Is here someone from Victron, who can solve the problem?

0 Likes 0 ·
8 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi all,

Thanks for the reports and apologies for the issues.

This thread has the attention of the R&D team and they are looking into it now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi all,

We have identified a problem in the Venus software and are working on a solution. The plan is to make a Venus software version available within a week that fixes this problem.

The result of this problem is that the SmartShunt does not show up in the device list on the Cerbo (or other GX product). It does however show up in VictronConnect when connecting to the Cerbo via the VRM tab in VictronConnect and it does show up on the VRM website in the device list.

A workaround to make it also appear on the Cerbo is to give the SmartShunt a custom name. This can be done by connecting to the SmartShunt locally via Bluetooth, or by connecting to it via the Cerbo on the VRM tab.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

5 comments
2 |3000

Hello,

unfortunately the workarounds make my SmartShunts not visible.

Regards,
Roland

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ sas commented ·

Hi @Sas , could you install the latest beta version, v3.10~36, out since approx one hour, and let us know if that solves it for you?

Further details here:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/228708/venus-os-v31032.html

(that post will be updated in a few minutes with all the details, but one thing included is the required fix for this problem).

0 Likes 0 ·
sas avatar image sas mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hello,

I installed the newest beta version, but it makes no change. I get no SmartShunt in the device list.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ sas commented ·

sorry to hear that! Lets take a different approach: can you issue an RMA at your dealer to get a replacement?

And please ask them to get the unit returned to the Netherlands for us so we can analyse it. And what is the serial number? Then we put up a flag here on that.

Thank you and sorry for the trouble! Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
ps. we'll also contact you be email!
0 Likes 0 ·
sas avatar image
sas answered ·

Hello,
I know the reason for the problem.
The "normal" SmartShunt has 3,3V powersupply for VE.Direct --> no problems
The SmartShunt IP65 has a 2,7V powersupply for VE-Direct --> problem
The voltage regulators have tolerances. If the voltage is below 2.7V VE.Direct doesn't work.
I have tested it with a USB-UART and a ADUM1201 for galvanic separation(2,7V ... 5,5V) --> no function
Additional 5V/3,3V DC/DC supply instead of the 2,65V supply of my SmartShunt. --> Shunt works perfect.
The decision to reduce the powersupply to 2,7V was bad. I dont't know, if all SmartShunts IP65 have this low supply voltage.
I have tested 3 new IP65 which have a supply voltage below 2,7V and doesn't work at VE.direct.

2 |3000

Craig avatar image
Craig answered ·

I am also having a similar issue. although I have discovered it is possible to connect to the SmartShunt IP65 using the USB->VE.Direct cable but not using the native VE.Direct cable to the Cerbo.

Do we know if this can be addressed by a software update to either the Smartshunt IP65 or the Cerbo to enable it to work with this lower lower voltage signal or increase the working voltage of the smartshunt IP65

1 comment
2 |3000

Hello,

the Cerbo hardware needs >2,7V, so a software update can't help.
I don't believe that the voltage regulator of the IP65 is software controlled. So I don't think, that a software update will cure the IP65.
Via USB-VE.Direct you can supply the VE.Direct via USB. The native VE.Direct has no supply and the supply voltage of the IP65 is too weak.

0 Likes 0 ·
tighernan avatar image
tighernan answered ·

I have installed a new IP65 over the weekend, only to discover I also am having the same non connection to the cyrbo. Has there been a fix discovered for thos issue yet?

9 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Tighernan,

There was a fix added to firmware v3.10 for the Cerbo GX, please make sure you're running that version (or later) and let us know how you go.

0 Likes 0 ·
tighernan avatar image tighernan Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @ Guy Stewart,

Thank you for your reply. screenshot-20231130-095703-samsung-internet.jpg

I just done a double check. We are running v3.12.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ tighernan commented ·

Thanks @Tighernan,

Have you attempt the suggested workaround from @Sas using the VE.Direct to USB adapter? Understandable if you haven't/cannot, but if you could try it I would be curious.

Either way I've forward this on to the engineers again and I'll see what else I can find out.

0 Likes 0 ·
euromotive avatar image euromotive Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) we are the distributor that supplied @Tighernan and we can try that work around with the USB cable when we get the suspect unit back. we have had issues with another unit also but we will have to get that back also.

1 Like 1 ·
tighernan avatar image tighernan Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
I don't have the cable mentioned above. I could order one up and try it. Thank you for the quick response.
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @Tighernan,

I have heard back from the engineer and they have requested that units showing this issue be RMA'ed for warranty replacement with a note to this thread.

0 Likes 0 ·
Fantastic service Victron thank you so much. Out of curiosity, when I contact my distributor and so as I don't have this issue with the next one. Is there a certain batch that this issue is more prone to?
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ tighernan commented ·

Hi @Tighernan,

I haven't seen any notification of a known issue, or affected serial number range, the engineering request to RMA and specific reference to this thread might indicate they are looking to see if there is a pattern.

This community is a great 'canary' for potential issues, but for systematic action the engineers need to get their hands on the equipment in question.

0 Likes 0 ·
euromotive avatar image euromotive Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Thats great now to have some closure on this issue. we will RMA any of these units that come our way with the same issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
tinyvan avatar image
tinyvan answered ·

hello, i have the same problem, tried also a diy cable an a lot of ve.direct cables etc. is it a low voltage problem on the smartshunt ip65? if so the replacement of this item would be useless, because the error is built in?

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @tinyvan,

When you say you've tried a DIY cable, that is never supported or recommended - see Matthijs' answer here - https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/48562/vedirect-diy-cable.html

Once you've tried replacing the existing cables with new official cables, and are certain you are running the latest firmware on all components, and tried the USB work around, then the latest advice I have got is to request an RMA replacement under warranty and for what I have heard that resolves it.

I don't have any further insight into if it is batch related or anything like that.

0 Likes 0 ·
tinyvan avatar image tinyvan Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
thx ok i will do that. i also measured 2.7 volt on the output of the ve direct cable (original) - so i think the problem is built in. others also had this low voltage. i m wondering how is the voltage on those that work fine? 3.3 Volt?
0 Likes 0 ·
tighernan avatar image
tighernan answered ·

Circling back on this. Yesterday I tried the usb cable hack and for me it didn't work. Thankfully the guys at Euromotive sorted me out with a replacement, plugged it in and immediately the new shunt started working.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi All,

It has been some journey to resolve this, apologies for that.

First there is a fix in firmware, so please make sure that you're running the latest firmware on all devices (GX device & SmartShunt)

If the firmware doesn't resolve the issue, then there is a known issue in hardware. This occurred in products with the serial numbers HQ2303 upto and including HQ2313.

If you have a SmartShunt IP65, with a serial number in that range, and it is not connecting correctly to your GX device, then please take it to your Victron Dealer for a replacement. There is a tech note available to dealers that explains the issue if they aren't aware of it.

Apologies again and hopefully this is now solved for good.

2 |3000