question

f450driver avatar image
f450driver asked

How do I enable my Victron charging components to work together when charging?

Hi, I want my Victron Smart Solar charger and my new Multiplus II to work together when charging my lithium batteries when connected to shore (5th wheel trailer, mobile). My system components are:

Multiplus II

Smart Solar MPPT VE.can (1200 watts of panels)

Cerbo GX

BMV-712

LiFePO4 batteries (internal BMS, and these are NOT can bus or on the approved list)

All components (except batteries) are connected to the Cerbo GX. The manual mentions DVCC is the feature to enable communication between the components, however, in bold type, they mention NOT to use DVCC if the batteries are not on the list. Mine are not.

So what feature(s) do I use so that the battery charging is coordinated between components when electrons can come from more that one source at a time. i.e, connected to shore and PV is collecting photons?

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxBMV Battery MonitorMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Use the battery maker recommended settings in the chargers. As long as they're the same on all units it will work well. All you lose with DVCC off is current control.This is only a problem if the batteries can't handle the total charge current.

But as long as you don't connect the BMS Can bus to the Cerbo you can use DVCC.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
With DVCC off you will also lose shared voltage which is just as important as shared current when trying to get all the components to work in unison.
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Enable DVCC as this will share the voltage and current from the BMV-712 to all connected devices.

2 |3000

mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Have you contacted your local Victron Dealer? They can help you determine the proper configuration & settings for your installation.

2 |3000

f450driver avatar image
f450driver answered ·

Adding some other information that I found useful in answering my question:

I under took a MUCH deeper dive than I initially did into each of the individual component manuals of my system, One acronym that is used loosely throughout the manuals is BMS. And by loosely, I mean without regard to the type and way the BMS is used in different system types and components. Once that was clear to me, it became a little easier to figure things out.

So, here’s my interpretation of the different BMS’

1. Victron has specific, dedicated, products that perform the role of BMS that collect, transmit, and in some cases, act on battery information.
  2. Battery manufacturers incorporate a BMS into their battery AND provide an external communication interface so that other components can use its information.
  3. Battery manufacturers incorporate a BMS into their battery and it manages current and temp cutoffs, etc. It DOES NOT have any external interface.
  4. The Cerbo GX can be configured to coordinate and act on battery information in a way similar to a BMS role although not explicitly defined in manuals.

The type of BMS when choosing to use DVCC seemed to create a little confusion.

2 |3000