question

gianmarco avatar image
gianmarco asked

Lynx Shunt + Multiplus II - Shutdown on low SOC without MP II battery monitor

Good morning everybody.

I'm here asking you some hints about configuring the MP II in an OR logic, to shutdown if low voltage is reached OR low SOC is reached.

I already set up the voltage limitations, but I'm struggling to make the shutdown on low SOC to work.

That's because I'm not using the MP II as battery charger (to charge the batteries I'm using two RS450|200) so I don't want to enable the internal battery monitor. The only battery monitor I want to use is the Lynx Shunt.

The problem is that if I try to enable the Shutdown on low SOC in VE.configure it tells me that I must enable the internal battery monitor.

Is it possible to make the MP II read the SOC from the Lynx Shunt and setup the shutdown on low SOC without enabling the internal MP II battery monitor?

Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

EDIT: I have a Lynx shunt because I'm using Opsz lead-acid flooded batteries.

Here are some photos of the installation:

20230728-094105.jpg

20230728-094129.jpg

20230728-094145.jpg

20230728-094200.jpg

Multiplus-IISOClynx shuntlow battery warningshutdown
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
victech-power avatar image
victech-power answered ·

Although I do not have an immediate answer to you question and I also am not read in to your configuration. I would like to provide some extra input for helping your case.
We install lots of ESS systems where there is NO shunt but a BMS-CAN connection to a battery stack.
The BMS-CAN connection is providing same info as the shunt which is battery SOC.
In case of CAN , you also get the battery details so you do not have to set it manually.

I cross checked some of the systems installed but they all have the battery monitor enabled.
I also noticed that one of the systems that had a battery added was properly informed by the CAN that now not 400Ah was available but 500Ah.
So I have a config difference where this leads me to believe that the CAN-BMS setting overrides the setting in VE.Configure.

Perhaps in your case too , but test it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gianmarco avatar image gianmarco commented ·
You're right: I didn't specify that I'm using Opsz batteries, that's why I need the shunt. No bms here.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@gianmarco

I assume you also have a GX in your system....

If so, enable the internal battery monitor. Then on the GX set the lynx as the system battery monitor in system set up. The VE BUS SOC actually synchronises to the lynx monitor SOC anyway with the GX in the system.

Then all your desired features and options will work and work correctly according to the lynx.

3 comments
2 |3000

gianmarco avatar image gianmarco commented ·
Hi Alexandra, thank you for your suggestion.

So, if I enable the internal battery monitor on the MP II and tell the Cerbo gx to use the Lynx Shunt monitor it's guaranteed that the MP II will read the SOC only from the shunt?

I really don't want to mess this up. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ gianmarco commented ·

@gianmarco

That is correct. Now you just need to make sure the shunt is correct....

1 Like 1 ·
gianmarco avatar image gianmarco Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thank you, you asked a giant question in my head. The shunt is set up perfectly and reads the SOC with precisione even if I'm using OPSZ batteries.

Thank you again for your time.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic