question

ama avatar image
ama asked

SMA STP 8.0 SE after FW Upd. to Vers. 3.2.22.R - no longer found

Hi, i got a second PV Inverter in my config (SMA STP 8.0 SE). After initial setup, the new PV Inverter was immediately found by my CCGX. Data was visible correctly. The power of both Inverters (the old SMA 9.0 and the new SMA 8.0 SE was summed correctly. After an Update to the newest Firmware 3.2.22.R on the SMA 8.0 SE this inverter is no longer visible on the CCGX. Also a rescan did not work. I tested IP Connection - all good. I also loged in to the Venus OS and did a telnet test to port 502 to my new SMA Inverter - connection worked also without error. Therefor my question: Is there a known issue with the newest firmware on SMA STP 8.0 SE in the communication with Victron Venus OS on CCGX?

If yes - when got it fixed?

I found some info in the internet, that there are modifications on the sunspec protocol, which is allready implemented in SMA Inverters but not in Victron OS. Is that correct?

Thanks, Anton

AC PV Couplingmultiple inverterssunspec
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
ama avatar image
ama answered ·

Hello, can anybody from Victron have a look in this issue.

One additional remark: Modbus in general is also working, when requesting content of specific registers via our openWB wallbox. But the lookup function in venusOS does not detect the the PV inverter. It is defined with port 502 and Modbus ID 3 (wich is 126 in sunspec...

Thanks for help

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ama avatar image
ama answered ·

Hello All,

seems that other victron users have also problems with sunspec modbus communication to newer SMA PV inverters:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/212186/no-data-from-sma-tripower-x-15-50.html

Is Victron working on this issue?

Would be great to get an official info here...

Thanks, Anton

2 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

This is not a support channel and I suggest you roll back to the previous working SMA firmware version. My impartial take is that SMA may have changed something in their firmware that stopped the system from working. A roll back will be the first option followed by getting in touch with SMA support?

0 Likes 0 ·
ama avatar image ama ejrossouw commented ·
Hello,

yes this is not a Victron support channel, but Victron personnel is often giving info her.

At the moment i have support tickets at SMA and at Victron since more than a week: No info up to now ...

To do a fallback on my SMA inverter was also my first intention. But: bringing SMA inverters back to an older firmware can only be done in the factory :-) This info came form SMA. Nothing else up to now.

And Victron - they have in the documentation, that SMA inverters can do a direct communication via sunspec modbus. Therefor it should be a communication between Victron and SMA, when there is a modification on one of both sides.

Anton

0 Likes 0 ·
Galin Radoslavov avatar image
Galin Radoslavov answered ·

Nobody listen in this company. They transfer obligations to the dealers and stop to communicate with others.

2 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

I am intrigued? Why is this a Victron issue if a SMA firmware update "broke" a working system?

0 Likes 0 ·
ama avatar image ama ejrossouw commented ·
Because Victron is advertising with their automated sunspec comminication to SMA inverters....
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi All,

We have just released a new version of Venus 3.14 for GX devices which expands support for SMA PV inverters - https://professional.victronenergy.com/news/detail/235/

2 |3000

ama avatar image
ama answered ·

Hi All,

i have updated my GX device to the newest Beta (Version v..30~10 from 20240227145825). With this version - my SMA STP 8.0 Smart Energy is again found by the GX. So the problem is fixed.

Thanks for that!

Anton

2 |3000