question

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 asked

Growatt grid tied tl-x inverter

Anyone know if the growatt tl-x grid tied inverters support frequency shifting.

I can't spot it in manual and manufacturer responses are slow. Anyone tested these inverters.

Is there a list of supported inverters or a way to tell from inverter manuals. Or Is there another word other than frequency shifting that I might have better luck searching in literature to determine if this inverter is supported.

Thanks,

Matt

AC PV Couplingmultiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Am not specifically familiar with the growatt tl-x, but most reputable grid-tied inverters will be compliant with one or more national grid codes which require them to disconnect if the frequency is e.g. less than 49.0 Hz or more than 51.0.

You might find this info buried in the technical spec, a separate table of grid codes or in instructions on how to install the inverter in different countries.

You will most likely not be able to modulate the output though, only shut the inverter down, however this may be sufficient for your needs.

In my own system this means that in island mode the MultiPlus II can - if there is too much PV generation - shut down the 11 yr old Steca inverters by increasing the system frequency, even though it was not originally what I had in mind when I bought them.

For this setup I have the 3 frequency settings in VEConfigure set to 51.1, 51.2 and 51.3Hz since they cannot be the same.

HTH

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
Thanks so much, very useful answer
0 Likes 0 ·
techmuc avatar image
techmuc answered ·

@matt1309 Have you tried it out and it is working fine? if yes, which frequency setting did you choose?

@sharpener : My understanding of your comment is, that the growatt will not regulate down, but shut down if no more power is needed (island mode ++ battery full or ac to grid is deactivated and battery is full) and will not damage the battery, right?

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
I've not tested it. I manually switch to islanding mode (as inverter is too small for all loads). Grid has yet to go down so not tested yet. Shall report back if/when it happens.
0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Exactly that.

2 |3000