question

btcdan avatar image
btcdan asked

Firmware Easysolar coupling to grid tie inv

My Easysolar has firmware 2620158 installed. If I upgrade firmware, can the system then be coupled with a gridtie inverter and extra PV?

EasySolar All-in-Onefirmware updateAC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @BtcDan

2620 indicates a 48/3000 Multiplus, and it should be fine to use in an application like that. 158 is quite old firmware, and I'd go all the way to the latest 502. I'm not sure if your CCGX/VRM can do that large a jump, but you may find it will throw a #1342 message because the CCGX is too old anyway. So you'll likely need to buy a MK3/usb adaptor and use VEFlash software on a WinPC. See the Victron website. The firmware file is available on Victron Professional (sign in needed).

11 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

btcdan avatar image btcdan commented ·

I have a Mk3/usb adapter. So I can update firmware with VEflash (already installed on my old windows laptop) with the 2620502.vff file. correct..
I it best to switch inverter to charge only do do this.. or even off?
Will I still be able to talk to inverter using mk3/usb via VEconfig/ or mk3/usb Victron connect?
TIA

0 Likes 0 ·
btcdan avatar image btcdan btcdan commented ·

Will I still be able to talk to inverter using mk3/usb via VEconfig/ or mk3/usb Victron connect? (AFTER the upgrade)

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ btcdan commented ·
@BtcDan

Leave the Multi turned fully on. When you plug in the VE.Bus cable from the MK3, pull out the VE.Bus cable that goes to the CCGX. So it's standalone, with no chance of interference from anywhere else.

Don't forget to save the configuration file and upload it after the fw update.

Don't have the other 'talkers' running while VEFlash is doing it's job.

0 Likes 0 ·
btcdan avatar image btcdan JohnC ♦ commented ·
I don't have a colour control on my system, just a BMV700. AFAIK the two mppt have no network connections to the multi. I plug a blue tooth adapter into the mppts, one at a time to change their settings.

Thinking I should probably get a second bluetooth adapter so the two MPPT can talk to each other..

0 Likes 0 ·
@BtcDan

Hmm. I use an Easysolar 5000 of v158 vintage. It came with a CCGX, and so did the 3000's. Tis why I assumed yours did. Anyhows, given you're expanding your system, you should consider getting a GX (of any type). Grid-tied is another level, and bt networking a couple of mppts won't help much with the stuff you'll really want to know and control.

0 Likes 0 ·
I'm only aware of the colour control. But it doesn't seem necessary really? Doess't it mainly make it easy to see what going on. Or would it also stop punching too may amps in, if I'm drawing minimal and system is getting power from both MPPTs and a GridTied set of PV Strings
0 Likes 0 ·

@BtcDan

Depends what you want to do with your grid-tied. Maybe you need this.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

..and one of these.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

0 Likes 0 ·

Will I still be able to talk to inverter using mk3/usb via VEconfig/ or mk3/usb Victron connect? (AFTER the upgrade)

0 Likes 0 ·
I'm assume I'll be able to connect to the multi Via Mk3USB via Victron Connect app. Is this correct?
0 Likes 0 ·
@BtcDan

It should still be ok to use the MK3. But that said, I've never done it myself. A GX (especially hooked to VRM over the web) is a quantum step up, and you may never want to use the MK3 access again once you experience it..

0 Likes 0 ·
hmm. I'm planning to make a VenusGX with a rPi4. But its currently a Bitcoin node, I'll be upgrading that to a NUC pc. Maybe I should wait until I've got the rPi Venus built. Would hate to not be able to save settings back to Multi, and be without power at home! The Multi is my sole power source , I'm off grid. Thanks for your help :D
0 Likes 0 ·
btcdan avatar image
btcdan answered ·

Ugrade completed successfully!

6 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@BtcDan

Good work. Hope you didn't find the process too challenging. Thanks for letting us know.

Good luck with your 'expansion' too. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Was scarily easy ;). I'm using DVCC to limit charging current (I have two mppts puling PV from different PV strings and this seems to be the correct way?).

The rPi has often lost all devices plugged into it, I "think" it is a bad termination of the plug into one of the mppts - as it doesn't happen if I unplug that usb.
VRM is showing my I ca update the multi now to V506, but I'm hesitant to do another upgrade, via VRM.
Are there settings I need to make before adding a grid tie inverter to the AC output?

0 Likes 0 ·

@BtcDan

Re the grid-tie. Depends how you do it. Some complexity possibly involved. Maybe hit the website for technical articles, etc. A starter.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

0 Likes 0 ·
Just noticed bothe the multi and one of my mppts has the same instance id 291.. but can't seem to change either.. or find any documentation of how to :(.

0 Likes 0 ·
btcdan avatar image btcdan btcdan commented ·
Solved with reboot! Is there any way to set bulk, abs, float on mppts connected to rpi venus, with disconnecting cable and using a bluetooth adapter?
0 Likes 0 ·

@BtcDan

VictronConnect. https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

Even without the bt adaptor (via VRM).

0 Likes 0 ·