question

gregt avatar image
gregt asked

Cummins Onan P4500i Compatibility with Multiplus 12 3000VA

The title says it all. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the compatibility of the Cummins Onan P4500i Generator with the Multiplus 12 3000VA Inverter Charger. Specifically, I'd like to know if this generator can supply enough continuous power to max out the charge current capabilities of the Multiplus 3000VA (about 1500 continuous watts according to the spec). This is of course assuming no additional loads at play, just the generator and the multiplus connected to a 400+ AH Lifepo4 bank. Theoretically from what I can see the generator could easily do this as it will provide a true continuous 120v/30A power supply.

Theory aside I would really love to know if anyone else can report success with this series of generators being compatible with the multiplus (multiplus "one" not "II" series) to reach full charge capabilities. This is of course assuming weak AC is turned off. I've found many reports of people using the onan models with auto start, but no reports of compatibility for providing charge current.

PS: I know all about this FAQ: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq and I've studied it. Neither the FAQ nor the links within contain any compatibility reports of specific popular generator models. I know the P4500i falls short of the 5 kVa target suggested in the faq, but I suspect that target is a generalization which factors in more than just the charge current.

battery chargingGeneratorcharge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic