question

christie avatar image
christie asked

Connect ve.bus BMS to Venus GX

I have a Lithium system with ve.bus BMS and want to know the cell voltages. I don't have the Smart variety batteries. I also want the other benefits of having the BMS talk with the Venus.

According to the CCGX manual, one can connect the BMS directly to the CCGX and I would assume by extension, to the Venus. I quote from the manual with regards to the be.bus BMS:

"Connect the CCGX to the socket labelled ‘MultiPlus/Quattro’, or to one of the Multis/Quattros in the system. Do not connect it to the Remote panel socket on the VE.Bus BMS."

I have not been able to get the BMS to show up as a device on the Venus, but all my other devices do. I have contacted my dealer who assured me I should be plugging the Venus into the "remote panel" socket on the BMS even when I quoted him the manual. This did not do anything, either.

Someone else on here asked a similar question and was told they could not be connected. Given that the bus is merely passing on data, I don't see why it should not work, but with all the contradicting information I don't know what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Christie

Lithium BatteryBMSVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Christie, the VE.Bus BMS doesnt know cell voltages. The wiring coming from the Battery only indicates that charging needs to be stopped (cell voltage high, or temperature issue), and that a cell is too low: discharging needs to be stopped. Its a very simple and effective mechanism.

The downside is indeed that there is no info about cell voltages or anything else.

Regarding connecting: the Venus GX cant retrieve data directly from the VE.Bus BMS. So, even though they are on the same network (VE.Bus); you still need an inverter/charger in that same network to make it work.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

christie avatar image christie commented ·

Hi M,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to follow up with a few more questions.

Do the battery interconnects communicate only temperature and voltage threshold flags? Is there no way to see cell voltages or temperature at all?

Since the Colour Panel manual specifically explains how to connect the BMS directly to the panel, what benefit does this direct connection offer and how can I know whether it is active?

In a normal setup with a Multiplus/Quattro, what information would the BMS communicate? Is there any other device that would allow access to this information?

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
chrisryan43 avatar image chrisryan43 christie commented ·

Hi Christie, Sorry to ressurect an old thread but i am in the same predicament and wondered if you ever found an answer to your question?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ chrisryan43 commented ·

Threshold flags only indeed.

allow-to-charge yes/no

allow-to-discharge yes/no

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

And possibly more flags.

0 Likes 0 ·