question

e-box avatar image
e-box asked

Does cell balancing work without VE.Bus BMS?

Hallo,

if I charge a single VE 12,8V LiFePo4 battery with e.g. a Blue Smart IP65 charger (with lithium mode) will the cells be balanced even if I do not use a VE.Bus BMS?

Or is a VE.Bus BMS mandatory for cell balancing?

(Of course, for a regular use of the LiFePo battery there is a VE.Bus BMS in use - but my questions applies to a single charging of a LiFePo battery aside of the plant)

Lithium BatteryBMSve.bus bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

As i remeber correct from last training there is just a Top balancing. So without external BMS you will dammage your battery in case of a non wanted celldrift which can't be handled by internal balancing. For that you need external BMS which disallow to charge by contact. best wishes to the WR Neustadt from Graz :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello, yes this must work. If you select the right charge settings in your charger, then the charging will go good. The BMS is only a protection system to communicate to the Charger to stop in case the BMS receives an alarm status from the LiFePo4 battery.

I would not leave the charging alone and check so now and then via the Bluethooth the LiFePo4 battery.

regards,

Rob

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page