question

dbgiuffre avatar image
dbgiuffre asked

Lynx smart BMS 500 - how to operate?

Can someone provide help on a BMS 500 connected to 6 x 24V 200Ah Lithium batteries ?

The BMS will not turn on, if the battery switches (after the BMS) are left "on/closed". it gives error #25

I've been told the circuits need to be OFF, so that the BMS does not find load and will turn back on, but not sure this it the right way.

Also, once the BMS automatically turned off showing error #20. Any suggestions of what it can be in a real world usage?

BMSlynx bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Dbgiuffre @Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) have you made any progress?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Dbgiuffre The BMS will not turn on, if the battery switches (after the BMS) are left "on/closed". it gives error #25

As mentioned in the LSB manual during Pre-charge there is to much load for the pre-charge to to complete. Disconnect or isolate some loads on the system side of the BMS.

I've been told the circuits need to be OFF, so that the BMS does not find load and will turn back on, but not sure this it the right way.

I read that as the loads need to be connected to the dc bus, but turned "off", ie, a multi needs the dc connected to pre-charge the capacitors inside, but the on-off-charge switch needs to be "off". The BMS is likely to throw an error #25 if the inverter tries to start up during a pre-charge cycle. Likewise if a fridge tries to start during pre-charge.

Also, once the BMS automatically turned off showing error #20. Any suggestions of what it can be in a real world usage?

Error #20 is not shown in the manual. Where was this error read from, Victron Connect, GX device??

Go through the commisioning and power up procedures as explained in the manual to ensure that there is nothing wrong there.

If you are still having problems, post some more details, wiring diagram, screenshots, VictronConnect settings of the LSB, images of the installation, details of tests preformed so far.

2 |3000

dbgiuffre avatar image
dbgiuffre answered ·

W-5503-E03 DC Power Wiring Diagram ISO A1.pdfh

hello @Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff), thank you for the reply.

The error #20 was reported to me by the boat operator (I've sold him the boat). Will check with him if / where this error appeared.

Apologies if I ask for clarification again on operating the BMS "on / standby".

The DC load is always connected to the DC bus.

The Victron dealer that has designed the system for the shipyard, is explaining that to turn "on" the BMS, the two RBS (remote battery switches) and the Quattro Inverter should be turned off. Doing this, I can confirm you can always reactivate the BMS without any error,

In case the BMS was turned off prior to the RBS, you simply need to turn them off manually, and the BMS will turn on, even with the Quattro Inverter left on previously.

I also confirm that you only need to turn off the RBS's and Inverter, and no need to physically disconnect load like the 24h circuit (bilge pumps, alarms etc...).

The boat owner / operator instead tells me he is getting advice from a Victron reseller in the US, that there should be no need to turn off the two RBS in order to reactivate the BMS, and that the BMS should turn on anyway...

I understand you have already explained before, as per the LSB Manual, the load needs to be off. Just kindly ask if you can clarify this again.

Thank you in advance.

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@Dbgiuffre your diagram is missing the Cerbo, associated comms lines, ATC, ATD wiring etc..

Is there a page showing this info?

0 Likes 0 ·

@Dbgiuffre

I did not reply. That was solely @klim8skeptic.

A few comments:

Yes, the DC loads can always remain connected, unless there is an E-B25 or #25 error when the BMS is switched back on. To correct this error, it is necessary to reduce the DC loads, either by switching off individual DC loads and/or the AC loads supplied by the inverter/charger (Quattro in your case, keep in mind that the Quattro is also considered a DC load).

Normally, the Quattro does not have to be switched off before switching the BMS on, because that is exactly what the BMS has the pre-charge function for, to pre-charge the Quattro's capacitors before the contactor closes.

But there are circumstances where this may not work, for example when certain DC loads have a too low input resistance. However, this does not usually mean small consumers such as bilge pumps or alarms. You need to find out which of the DC loads are causing the error #25 on power-up.

I am not sure what you mean by RBS - remote battery switch. Which batteries are switched on or off by this?

0 Likes 0 ·
dbgiuffre avatar image
dbgiuffre answered ·

2 |3000