question

stagepower avatar image
stagepower asked

VTAC Battery current wrong direction

I just added a VTAC Battery to my System. Everything works out great, the Battery is recorgnized as LG Resu. The only Problem is the current flow direction in venus charge is shown with - and discharge as +. Is there a way to change this?vtac-01.jpgvtac-02.jpg

BMS
vtac-01.jpg (402.8 KiB)
vtac-02.jpg (515.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@stagepower

I assume it has comms with the GX?

The problem is in the battery not with Victron. They probably have some voltage sense wires backwards on their shunt if they have one internally.

A similar thing happens when a Victron BMV is installed backwards.

I have seen that happen a few times with the 'not so main stream' batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stagepower avatar image stagepower commented ·

Yes, all other parameters are transmitted correct.

It is not the sense wire, the current direction on the battery display is correct, it is a driver/bms/config problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
thanar avatar image
thanar answered ·

I also got myself a V-TAC 10kWh battery for testing. You could also chime in on my thread if you want. On the issue, did you use the included cable to connect to the GX device? I will be setting mine up tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

Does the VenusOS calculations work the way it is set up now (with the + and - reversed), or does it loose control of the battery SoC this way? But, then again, SoC is reported by the battery, since this is a battery managed system now, I guess?

By the way... 53.1V at 97% SoC and almost idle state seems a bit on the low side... How many times has the battery fully charged?

2 |3000

andre-godinho avatar image
andre-godinho answered ·

Hi, I am having the same problem, battery shows reversed amps from the VRM portal, SOC and Voltage works. Adding batteries in parallel also works. You just have to change the address setting in the dip switches.

Mine works on the 02 Inverter code instead of the 04 as stated in their manual.

The original cable does not work, you have to make a corrected cable.

2 |3000

sawo1337 avatar image
sawo1337 answered ·

Here is the pinout for the cable v-tac - victron. Took me some time to figure out because the manual supplied with the battery is not correct, they are showing front view of the rj45 connector where it needs to be top view otherwise you would be wiring the battery side in reverse. Also make sure that inverter type is 06 and switch 01 is on. After that, connect to the bms-can port of the Cerbo GX and you should see rx/tx packets going both directions immediately. Make sure your firmware is 2023 or newer, older versions may need to be upgraded (v-tac can send you the update file, you would also need usb to rs485 adapter)

rj45-victron-v-tac.jpg

2 |3000

thanar avatar image
thanar answered ·

I'm on version 1.048.088 of the battery firmware and just managed to connect the battery to the GX device. I do not see a reversed current. What firmware version is on your batteries?

2 |3000