question

pun avatar image
pun asked

VE Config Assistants programming

MultiPlus-II configuration 48 | 5000 + MPPT charger + PYLONTECH5000 I want to use the grid in case of high demand and bad weather or low SOC to keep the batteries but not fully charged. Virtual switch cannot be used because the inverter does not have SOC data from the BMS. There is a problem with assistants because they overcharge each other. I've also tried NODE-RED, there so far I haven't been able to find how to control ignore AC input 1 My demands should look like this (test example):

do not ignore AC input1 if load is > 1700W or ignore AC input1 if load < 1000W

do not ignore AC input1 if AUX input1 closed or ignore AC input1 if AUX input1 open

charge limit 1A if AUX input1 < 1V

charge limit 50A if AUX input1 > 4V

Cerbo - turns on Charge current control if SOC < 20% set Cerbo relay1 on

if SOC > 25% set Cerbo relay1 off

How to solve it? I don't want to swallow ESS because of overflows.

Multiplus-IIPylontechAssistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jons Collasius avatar image
Jons Collasius answered ·

Wrong way.

Update all devices and configure your MultiPlus 2 according to this manual.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

You also should use the ESS Assistant, no other Assistant needed.
"Multiplus 2, Cerbo, MPPT and Plylontech US5000" is exactly my setup and it worked out of the box. Just follow the manual.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pun avatar image pun commented ·

As I wrote - I can not use ESS, because of there can be small feed back to grid - I am still not connected to grid.

Of cause, ESS everything solves.

Your link does not work

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@PUN

What do you mean you are not connected to Grid? What is the inverter connecting to?

The inverter will get SOC from the battery through the cerbo so that is not an issue. Just also program the internal monitor on the inverter.

Or you can use the generator assistant to ignore AC.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:ignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant

I also recently experimented with a daylight switch and a contactor for disconnecting mains during the day. And another with a timer (modified from this link). If you do that, then you can use ESS and then the system disconnects when the solar is good and you don't worry about feedback.

6 comments
2 |3000

pun avatar image pun commented ·

I am connected to grid, but I can not supply energy back to the grid - it is why I can not use ESS. In case of using BMS connected from battery to Cerbo is impossible use set of assistents for SOC conditioning. It is my main problem. That is why I ask forum. I am able to send my own software part to the Cerbo with Node-red - it can use SOC. But in this case I can not mannage ignore ACinput. This is vicious circle. I have tried many things, many assistents - but there is possible to process only one condition. The main problem is that something is controlled by the Cerbo and the rest by the inverter. Many things are hard-coded and cannot be easily changed.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ pun commented ·

Hi @PUN

You could try linking the Cerbo logic with the Multi's via a signal wire pair (Cerbo relay > Multi Aux1). So you could pass on what you choose in the Cerbo, to IgnoreAC in the Multi. Seems a bit clunky, but it should work ok.

ESS often gets recommended, even just to pass on the time of day to the Multi. I think this is somewhat careless, and unwarranted. You seem to recognize this as well, and I would avoid ESS too in your case.

Also, I've never seen anywhere in the literature that an externally derived SOC (say from a BMS or shunt) can be used in Assistants, Maybe it could happen via DVCC, but it's not mentioned. (Edit/: I checked with the experts, and a 'system' SOC gets automatically passed across to the Multi, DVCC not involved. I'd make sure the Multi's own SOC is disabled though)

Try the wire pair.

0 Likes 0 ·
pun avatar image pun JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thx for inspiration. It has neither a direct nor a simple solution. However, I solved it with the help of a generator in Cerbo and ignore AC input in Multiplus via AUX1 input. It's a bad solution, but it works. I would expect a solution via VEbus, not via wires. Victron should work on that. I made charging the battery from the grid fixed. I had to step back from the variable values. Also, I would prefer to charge the battery from the grid only to a certain percentage of charge and then stop charging it. But that's another problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
rldleblanc avatar image rldleblanc pun commented ·
I'm trying to do something similar for my motorhome where I can do self consumption at home and prioritize full batteries on the road. My thought was to use the relay 2 in the Cerbo GX and be able to manually set it on the touch screen. By connecting relay 2 to the Quattro AUX 1 I could use that signal to not ignore AC2. Problem is that I can't find an assistant to listen to the AUX 1 and not ignore AC2. I moved from VS to Assistants so that I can have max charge current on generator and friendly charge current when on shore power. What assistant are you using and how did you set it up? Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ rldleblanc commented ·
@rldleblanc

General Flag Asst can be selected to Ignore ACIN2. Use Programmable Relay Asst to read AUX1 and drive General Flag.

0 Likes 0 ·
rldleblanc avatar image rldleblanc JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thank you. As is common for me a stumbled on https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/184842/mp-which-assistant-should-i-use.html a bit after posting this and that helped me find that the General flag was the key. I got the programming done and the Cerbo wired to the Quattro this morning and ran tests and it's working as intended.
For others interested in the assistants I used:

1. Generator Start and Stop
    1. Use the general flag.
    2. Open relay to start generator.
    3. Start generator when the state of charge is lower than 70%.
    4. Stop the generator when the state of charge is higher than 80%.
    5. The generator is not stopped by AC input.
  2. Programmable Relay (overrides the previous)
    1. Use General Flag
    2. Set relay off
    3. When Auxillary input 1 is closed for 0 seconds. (Connected to the NO on the Cerbo).
  3. General Flag User
    1. Use general flag to ignore AC input 2.

We are leaving for a big trip in a couple of days, so there may be some tweaking, but it's sure nice to know that I can leave the campground with a full battery with a "simple" change on the touch screen. I may have to start looking on how to hack the display to make it easier.

0 Likes 0 ·