question

fred85 avatar image
fred85 asked

123SmartBMS vs. REC BMS in Victron System

Dear community,

I registered here since I’m sure that it is the right place to get support with the issue I want to find a solution for. First, I’m not into scripting a programming. Thus, all self-made solutions with Pasdpberry Pis and other devices are for sure impressive but unfortunately no solution for me.

I’m transforming an old fire truck into a motorhome and currently I’m looking for the right BMS that fulfills my needs. Here is the setup of the future system I have party installed already:

• Separated starter battery (lead-acid) and supply battery (LiFePO)
  • Charging of the supply battery will be possible by alternator (Victron Orion-Tr Smart 24|24-17 – maybe a second device will support in future)
  • 230 V consumers: Victron MultiPlus 24|3000|70-16 is installed
  • 12 V and 24 V consumers installed
  • Six solar panels (= 1.140 W) on the roof
  • Solar charging with Victron MPPT 150|35 Smart
  • Victron Cerbo GX incl. Display

As a supply battery I want to install eight EVE cells LF280K (= 24 V, 280 Ah). I’m looking for a BMS that works stable (at some point I want to live in the truck and there is no backup system installed) and guarantees a long life of the EVE cells. The system should be compatible with the Victron components I’m already using. I found out that there are basically to systems available: the 123SmartBMS and the REC BMS (or are there even more?). What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two systems and what are your experiences concerning stability and battery lifetime?

A ready to use Victron battery is no option for me - too expensive...

Thanks for your support and best from Munich, Germany

Fred

cerbo gxLithium BatteryBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
benm avatar image
benm answered ·

Both bms will control the Victron mppt and multi for the perfect charging.

Especially at the end off charge this works great.

The REC also can control a alternator controller through the CAN bus like a WS500.

The 123bms cannot control the WS500 through the Cerbo.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.