question

oceanwolfe avatar image
oceanwolfe asked

does ve.smart interfere with ve.direct?

I keep getting problems "seeing" all the components in my system via Victron Connect.

I have a CerboGX with ve.direct cables to a BMV-712, a ve.bus connection to a MultiPlus Compact, and with a ve.direct connection to four Smart Solar MPPTs (using ve.direct-to-usb adapters from each MPPT to a powered USB hub, then a USB cable to the CerboGX).

I like the simplicity of the ve.Smart network for synchronizing the MPPTs and the interface is much faster and intuitive than the clunky setup of using Victron Connect to go the the CerboGX's web-based panel to access the MultiPlus. Of course, then I can't see or control them via the GX.

I've set up DVCC control of the MPPTs via the GX and the hardwired ve.direct etc network, but frequently encounter problems seeing all the components of Victron Connect. It looks like if I use bluetooth to look at the MPPT operations, the resulting bluetooth connection may be conflicting with the ve.direct connection, and I then have trouble seeing things like the MultiPlus.

Victron Connect also sometimes shows two CerboGXs, I'm guessing that one that is bluetooth linked and one that is ve.direct linked.

1) Do I need to NEVER use the bluetooth connection to any of the components to keep the ve.direct network reliably operational?

2) Is there a simple way to re-establish ve.direct "control"?

cerbo gxBMV Battery MonitorMPPT SmartSolarDVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Have a look at this video regarding Victron Connect ability to remotely monitor and configure your VE Direct devices. You can monitor / control your VE Direct devices from the other side of the world via VRM / wifi / internet.

VE Bus devices are not accessed remotely as yet. VE Bus devices can be accessed via VRM / remote console though.

When you access your system as above, you are accessing the GX via wifi / internet, the GX is then communicating with the VE Direct devices via the VE Direct cables. There is no bluetooth smart network link between the GX and other devices.

Victron Connect also sometimes shows two CerboGXs, I'm guessing that one that is bluetooth linked and one that is ve.direct linked.

Yes, 1 is a bluetooth address (only useful for coms setup / not part of the smart network), the other is its wifi address that your phone / computer can link to.

I've set up DVCC control of the MPPTs via the GX

DVCC and Smart Networking can not be used at the same time, odd things can sometimes happen.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.