question

jjbond avatar image
jjbond asked

Mopeka propane tank sensors eating batteries while connected to Cerbo

Anyone else see massive battery usage while using the Mopeka sensors but only when connected to Cerbo. I went through 3 new duracell button cells in less than 2 days until i disconnected them from the Cerbo and just checked them with the Mopeka app and they've been working over 2 weeks.

cerbo gxtank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

I have had 2 mopeka sensors connected to the cerbo for about a month now with no problems

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Holger Watermann avatar image
Holger Watermann answered ·

maybe the distance is too long from the sensor to cerbo, so it needs to reconnect more often. this will eat the batteries.

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Mine have been on for about 8 months, before the firmware update so about 6 months connected to the Cerbo. The connection was not great to start with so after a couple of months I installed a USB Bluetooth dongle on an extension lead next to the tanks. You are aware that you should be using an external USB dongle on the Cerbo not relying on the Cerbo internal Bluetooth, if that keeps dropping out the sensors may spend more time continuously trying to reconnect. I also set the Cerbo Bluetooth to continuous scanning under the I/O menu, Bluetooth sensors to keep a better connection. I set the Mopeka sensors to their slowest refresh rate to reduce battery consumption. Temperatures can have an impact on these button cells, mine do not get below 0degC and are still showing 2.9V after 8 months.

The other thought I have is the calibration / setup mode on the sensor that is activated by the button which transmits the data at a high rate while you set the sensor level. Is this stuck in or being pressed in. The app may show this.

6 comments
2 |3000

packrat1969 avatar image packrat1969 commented ·
You mentioned installing a USB Bluetooth Dongle on an extension lead next to the tanks. Which Bluetooth Dongle? Do you mean a Victron product or something else? I've been having intermittent connectivity problems with (3) separate Mopeka sensors. Port and Starboard Propane and Freshwater. All are within 7 feet (straight lines through the front wall and the floor) of the Cerbo GX, which is mounted inside a cabinet in my RV. The two propane sensors are, of course, sandwiched between the bottom of the metal tanks and the metal propane tank shelf on the tongue of my RV. I can't put them anywhere else. The water sensor is below the plywood floor and 7 or so inches of water tank.

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell packrat1969 commented ·

Here is a good thread on the subject.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/112834/connect-ruuvi-to-ccgx.html

i have the tp-link UB400 and it works well. I am on a boat with 6mm steel bulkheads hence the need to get a dongle close. There is also an issue on older Cerbo GXs with intermittent Bluetooth operation.

0 Likes 0 ·
packrat1969 avatar image packrat1969 pwfarnell commented ·
Hello again,

So what did you have to do to the Cerbo GX or the UB400 to get it to work properly? By "properly" I mean a verifiable connection to the Mopekas. The Cerbo seems to recognize the UB400, as it comes up in the menu as hci2, but I have yet to find a way to disable the default hci0 and hci1 Bluetooth radios and force the Cerbo to use the TP-Link unit. I know it is not recommended, but, until I can get some wiring changes done, the new Bluetooth dongle will be plugged into an unpowered USB hub along with my BMS UART box. Its too bad one of the Cerbo's USB ports is power only....

So far, I'm not noticing much difference in the way of reliability improvements unless I turn on "Constant Scanning", which claims there may be interference issues with WiFi (both use the 2.4GHz spectrum).

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·
@pwfarnell

How exactly did you extend your Bluetooth?

I haven't yet installed my 4 Mopekas on my rooftop tanks which are 60 metres and a wall away. I had 2 ideas to solve the Bluetooth range problem:

1. Install a wireless Bluetooth range extender in the middle. This would receive the signals from the Mopekas and retransmit them to the Cerbo. I can install on it a power source. But it needs to be weatherproof as it will be outside. The advantage I see is that it doesn't have have to be connected physically to the Mopekas or to the Cerbo. But a weather proof unit might be hard to find.

2. Wire a USB hub from the Cerbo to about 10 metres away from the Mopekas using a standard cable. I guess I have to power the hub. Connect a BT dongle to the hub. I guess this is what you did. This solution appears to be more robust. The equipment might be also easier to get.

What do you think?

Fideri

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell Fideri commented ·

I used a USB extension lead as it was only 3m and fitted a TP Link UB400 to this. I also enabled continuous scanning on the Cerbo. All works well.

I do not know much about your proposals, I know USB has extension length limits but I have no choice idea about them. Although my extension was only a short distance, the main issue was steel bulkheads on a boat.

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri pwfarnell commented ·
@pwfarnell

That's very clear. I will read more about USB limits. I was under the impression (false, it turns out) that as long as you had a powered hub, you were good to go.

Fideri

0 Likes 0 ·
jjbond avatar image
jjbond answered ·

I'm having the exact same problem, I purchased 4 of the tank sensors and after blowirng through 4 batteries within 2 weeks I had to stop using them, Victron @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) has an option for us on this, they're not usable with going through this many battteries. Guy has there been any type of update regarding this issue? I'm using an external bluetooth and it works great but the battery issue ruins their usefulness....

Thanks

Jen

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi @jjbond,

I haven't heard of this issue before. I'm not sure what else I can do for now except note it. I am not seeing anyone else except for you with the problem.

Have you tried getting in touch with Mopeka as well?

0 Likes 0 ·
jjbond avatar image jjbond Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks.. and was good to see you back on the smart learning lab.

1 Like 1 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
Now up to 18 months on mine on the original batteries with the voltage at 2.83V and running continuous scanning on Cerbo Bluetooth. As noted above, did you set the Mopeka to longest transmit interval and make sure the continuous transmit buttons are not pressed. Otherwise as Guy says check with Mopeka as you may have defective devices.
0 Likes 0 ·
jjbond avatar image jjbond pwfarnell commented ·
I own 3 of the sensors, they all chew through batteries at a rate that makes them unusable. Yes re longest interval, don't have any continuous transmit button, thanks for taking the time to reply though.

Jen

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell jjbond commented ·
@jjbond Go back to Mopeka, I have seen some posts elsewhere of people having high consumption units repl by Mopeka.
1 Like 1 ·
jjbond avatar image jjbond pwfarnell commented ·
Thanks, will do.. and thanks @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Jen

0 Likes 0 ·