question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v3.00~14 available for testing

Hello all!

A new v3.00 version is available for testing! After quite some silence, and also slow responses to all the feedback given. My apologies for that!

Development has continued meanwhile, details below. Not many changes, lots of work is currently going into changes that are not ready for release yet.

Introduction to Venus OS beta testing

In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program. Venus OS is the software running on all our GX devices, such as the Cerbo GX.

How to post an issue?

Please keep all findings organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things!

Lastly, please first revert to the latest official release (v2.92), to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs.

Changes v3.00~8 -> v3.00~14

General

• Fix Zigbee (DRF2685C) detection.
  • VE.Bus BMS v2: Improvements to remote firmware update feature
  • VE.Bus BMS v2: Add sending the pre-alarm status to VRM.
  • Bluetooth improvements (I'll elaborate on this later)
  • Fix bugs in the GUI that could cause it to show glitches and/or get stuck.
  • Add Thai language

Modbus-TCP

• Fix register 31, the /State path for the VE.Bus inverter/chargers. Since v2.89 it returned value 252, Ext Control, for systems where the Inverter/charger is externally controlled. Instead of 3 (Bulk), 4 (Absorption) and so forth. Breaking customer integrations.

Venus OS Large

• Update signalk-server from 1.44 to 1.46.2

Changes v3.00~4 -> v3.00~8

General

• Multi/Quattro: Fix issue causing a repetitive low battery alarm in case the battery is disconnected
  • ESS: Fix bug introduced in v3.00~2 related to external control mode.
  • Add progress indicator (0 to 100%) to Venus OS firmware download.
  • Fix tank temperature unit (Fahrenheit)
  • Add new VE.Bus product ids (2681, 2723, 2766, 2776)
  • Add diagnostic fields for Multis/Quattros (uptime counter per unit, terminal voltage, Vsense voltage for L1 master and DC ripple)

Modbus-TCP

• com.victronenergy.battery: Add /Dc/0/Power and /Mode, add missing fields to /State enum
  • com.victronenergy.digitalinput: Add "Generator" to /Type enum
  • com.victronenergy.multi (applies to RS products): fix in enum /State

Venus OS Large

Changes v2.92 -> v3.00~4

• For systems having multiple BMSes connected, allow selecting which one should be used for DVCC. It also allows the use of a BMV for SOC tracking -- by selecting BMV as battery monitor -- while still using the BMS for DVCC. A bit of a niche issue for special systems, more technical background here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/901 (but please don't start posting on our github - thanks).
  • Detect Hubble batteries, untested as of yet.
  • Add Polish translations, thank you Jakub T for helping with that!
  • ESS: increase control speed of systems using todays supported meters (ET112, ET330, EM24, and also the ABB ones) a little. But, for faster meters, such as the EM540 which is not available yet, increase it very significantly. Requires updating the built-in MK3-chip, see next bullet.
  • Include a newer version of onboard MK3-chip firmware, v215. Updating that has a 1 to 10% chance of a short system outage (Multi/Quattro shuts down in VE.Bus Error 14, restarts after 30 seconds). And therefore the update needs to be initiated manually from within the menu. Note that this is a reversible action, no need to worry about being unable to roll back. After updating, and then rolling Venus OS back to v2.92 or some other earlier version, the MK3 will automatically (and silently) be downgraded to the for that version of Venus OS required MK3-firmware version.
  • Improve text for tank sensor name in pump configuration.
  • ESS: Fix bug where PV is not used for loads when scheduled charging to 100% during daytime
  • Fix bug where a PV-inverter on AC-in-2 would not be shown in the ESS overview. The workaround was to configure the PV inverter as being on AC-in-1. Not needed anymore.

Venus OS Large

Under water / developer

• Various small under the hood changes, mostly resulting in small reductions of CPU load
  • Replace Hiawatha webserver with nginx; which is better kept up to date (security)
  • Include various OE Dunfell fixes
  • DVCC: simplify transmission of the charge voltage setpoint by sending it always, rather than only if devices that work with it are detected. This won't make a difference to any commonly known system type.

Ps. Here are a few screenshots related to that MK3 firmware. On systems not updated yet, you'll see this (after going to the Device list, and then into the MultiPlus, Quattro or EasySolar listing):

1666825009093.png

And for anyone wanting to make sure its updated, in that same menu, scrolling all the way down to the Device submenu, and going in there, and scrolling down again, you'll find this listing:

1666825094337.png

Wherein the 212 digits are the version number, and thats the old one. And here is what you see after the update:

1666825165306.png

Prior threads:

Venus OS
18 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Hi all, hereby the promised update on what has changed in the Bluetooth:

Per HQ2208 (first 6 characters of serial number), our Cerbo GX has a better Bluetooth radio.

For the Cerbo-S GX: all production was done with the better bluetooth radio.

This better radio, as far as we now know (ā€¦) works well. And thus better than the other one, which fails when the internal temperature is high; which for example often happens after a firmware update and caused many people to think that recent firmware updates broke their Bluetooth.

Until now, that second bluetooth radio was not used. Per v3.00~14 it is enabled; but ofcourse only on the newer units that have it.

Changes in software for those newer units:

1) for its VictronConnect connection, the Cerbo now uses the new one instead of the old one. Note that that might cause the pairing to break, so pincode needs to be re-entered on the phone/tablet/laptop. Connecting with VictronConnect will for most only be done during commissioning.

2) For the Ruuvi sensor read-out, the Cerbo now uses the new one as well as the old one as well as any additional Bluetooth dongles that have been inserted.

So.. big change! And hopefully this can eliminate the ā€œyou need to insert an USB Bluetooth dongle if you want to use Bluetooth reliably, for example with Ruuvisā€ instruction for new installs.

But first: testing and feedback. Please let me know below if anything changed for you; good or worse, and in your report make sure to include the serial number of your GX!

Thank you! Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Thank you @mvader (Victron Energy) for this update and what promises to be a useful feature addition. Will we be able to do a serial number check (or a check in software) to tell which GX units have the additional BT radio? An explicit check procedure will help with both troubleshooting and design planning. Thanks!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ John Leslie commented Ā·
Hi @John Leslie , yes.

Cerbo GX: better bluetooth radio per HQ2208 (first 6 characters of serial number)

Cerbo-S GX: all production was done with the better bluetooth radio.

2 Likes 2 Ā·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Great, thank you.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
djbower1 avatar image djbower1 mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
I assume mine with "HQ2148" only has the single radio then?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie djbower1 commented Ā·
Correct, yours (& mine) were produced in 2021 (first 2 digits) and units with the 2nd BT radio start in 2022.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
janosch avatar image janosch mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Aren't the (some) NanoPi boards also supporting Bluetooth 4?

If yes, would it be possible to also activate it for Ruuvis & more?

This would be a great enhancement for the GX Series....

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ janosch commented Ā·

Hi @Janosch , yes you are right. Per these serial numbers, the MultiPlus-II GX as well as EasySolar-II GX also feature Bluetooth. As well as a full features VE.Can port rather than BMS-Can only:

1679784644166.png

See also one of the notes at the very bottom here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1679784644166.png (55.7 KiB)
hjohnson avatar image hjohnson commented Ā·
After upgrading to 3.0, my fuel tank is no longer appearing on my NMEA 2000 network. My cerbo is connected to my N2K network through the VE.CAN port. Itā€™s also connected to the fuel sender on my diesel tank. In 2.90 test, I could see my fuel tank level on my Garmin instruments. After upgrading to this version, that has gone away.

If I navigate through the menus of my GND-10 i can see the ā€œVictron Tankā€ item on the bus, but the actual widgets for the diesel tank no longer show the fuel tank level.

The cerbo itself is still seeing the tank level.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ hjohnson commented Ā·
Hi @hjohnson thank you for reporting and my apologies for taking months to reply!

Is this problem still happening for you?

We are working on Garmin and tank levels this and next week.

All the best, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
hjohnson avatar image hjohnson mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
I'll have to check next time I'm aboard; but I suspect that it's still that way. I do have remote access to my cerbo and am running signalk on it, so can at least pull some stuff in remotely.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ hjohnson commented Ā·
Hi @hjohnson ok, please do let me know once you're on board. Meanwhile we'll make sure to double check with the Garmins we have in the office.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Martin (Victron Energy) avatar image Martin (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ hjohnson commented Ā·

Hi @hjohnson, is Sagres your VRM site?

The diesel tank uses VRM instance 20, which should translate to device and fluid level instance 0 in N2K. The weird thing is that I cannot find the Fluid Level PGN 127505 in the supported PGN list of the GND-10. Nor can I find any information about which instances are supported.

Do you mind if we log in remotely to have a look at your system? Please enable Settings -> General -> Remote support.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
hjohnson avatar image hjohnson Martin (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Feel free to connect. I've opened up the support tunnel. The GND-10 clearly supports some form of fluid level measurement, as they have that option, just not sure what it is.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Martin (Victron Energy) avatar image Martin (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ hjohnson commented Ā·
@hjohnson I think I know what the issue is. You are using fluid type Diesel (7), which is a relatively new type in N2K. And I don't think it's supported by the GND-10. Try setting it to Fuel (0).
0 Likes 0 Ā·
hjohnson avatar image hjohnson Martin (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Cool, thanks! Iā€™ll make the change next time Iā€˜m aboard.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
janosch avatar image janosch commented Ā·

Hi Matthijs,

thanks a lot for addressing the ESS increase control speed.
It works better much better now.

ess-controll-speeds-v292-v300-14.png

As you are working on the ESS control algorithmus,

Could your please also have a look for smoothing out the ripples ESS is generating when there is no load. Your ESS control algorithms seem to not to smooth out - but oscillating on its own.
These is the result of your ESS control algorithms when your ESS is trying to zero the
This behavior has not changed from Venus OS v2.92 --> v3.00~14.

example:
ess-no-load-oscillation.png

You can see the behavior of my Easysolar II GX with EM24 power meter online:
https://my.discovergy.com/widget?tokenId=1d8257d54875480b8b231e9731b7bf29

Use this arrow (upper right corner) to zoom in:
zoom-in.png

The update from Venus V2.92 --> was made an 10.1.2023 - 11:28

I will let this link available for some days.

System setup:
EasySolar II GX with ESS with EM24 power meter.

The diagrams are being generated by the Discovery Smart Meter recording the energy consumption once per second.

Thanks,

Andreas

0 Likes 0 Ā·
n-dee avatar image n-dee janosch commented Ā·

That would be a great thing for my setup aswell as car charger, water heating etc. start at certain values. And as there are quite big fluctuations (especially in serial/parallel combinations of Multiplus) I have to configure a "safety-distance" to zero of 500w so that they don't get triggered!

(e.g. water heating is allowed to start if MORE than 500w is feeded in)

Of course these high fluctuations occur when loads vary, but even if we get 40w from smoothing this, my setup will benefit.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
13 Answers
cristimv avatar image
cristimv answered Ā·

Replying to Mvader on the comment below. After installing 3.00~14, I have the same issues. The Ac_In Fronius dissapears from both GX page and from VRM side. Rolling back to 2.92

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/164781/venus-os-v3004-available-for-testing.html?childToView=176324#comment-176324

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Noted! Thank you!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
jjbond avatar image
jjbond answered Ā·

GUIMODS:

Just upgraded from 8 to 14 and lost view of the main "Pages" screen, can hit the quick key button to go into config but can't see main usage screen, shows as blank in both Firefox and Safari. Can see Menu pages but no "Pages" page. Downgraded back to 8 and it came back, image below.

Image 1, version 14 pages screen, image 2 menu pages screen, image 3 is after I went back to version 8 and got the pages screen back.

Jen

2022-12-22-16-36-11.jpg

4 comments
2 |3000

gainestr avatar image gainestr commented Ā·

Itā€™s an issue with Guimods and not victron

2 Likes 2 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Yes, this is an issue with my GuiMods package not v3.00~14 beta firmware. Please post issues to my GitHub repo, not here.

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

I have identified the issue with the AC and DC coupled flow pages and will post a fix shortly.

1 Like 1 Ā·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Since I can't find the issue there, and it is already mentioned here, just a small hint; the ListView used the filter out Items which shouldn't be shown, the VisableItemModel does that now, be aware that is _not_ the VisualItemModel. For things outside a model, just use the visible property, not the show property.

For completeness, it is here https://github.com/victronenergy/qt/commit/e0d874b9d8a1dabac6004d7900d2514c002052f3.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·
Yes, that's what I found as well: changing the property "show" to "visible"; changing all VisualItemModel to VisibleItemModel. Hopefully I've found them all now.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered Ā·

There seems to be a regression in ~14. Inverter state no longer reports as external control, reports bulk etc.

2 comments
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·

See the Modbus-TCP change, it is done on purpose. There are some pending changes which will make the UI show external control again, while keeping the charge state available as well.

1 Like 1 Ā·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·
Thanks. RTFM :)
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

dbus services not populating properly in dbus-spy

I have a couple of services (PackageManager and ShutdownMonitor) that show no parameters in dbus-spy. The stock Victron services do show parameters. I saw this in v3.00~14 but went back to v3.00~8 and saw it there also. v2.92 does not appear to have this problem.

1 comment
2 |3000

I found the issue: an outdated library. For others: keep your local copy of velib_python up to date or do as I did and reference the library from an established Victron service.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
harold avatar image
harold answered Ā·

I read Zigbee?

Is it in the Venus OS / CCGX?

And where can it be used for?

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

I need some help please.

v3.00~14 requires a QML code change from using the show: property to the visible: property. This appears be true only for items inside VisualItemModel or VisibleItemModel.

This change breaks cycling through objects with the cursor hard buttons (or arrow buttons on a keyboard). All goes well until an object that is not visible is reached, then all controls lock up.

If I go back to Venus OS 2.92 and replace visible: with show: everything works fine.

I tried switching to VisibleItemModel but the same lockup occurs.

I added the enable: property to each object equal to visible and this prevents lockups but the invisible items are not skipped in the cycle through parameters. In previous OS versions, the objects with show: false are skipped.

@Jeroen what is the right way to do this or what am I doing wrong?

The example I'm currently playing with is in Setup Helper's PageSettingsPackageEdit.qml but there are other places where I'm seeing the lockup.

2 comments
2 |3000

The show: parameter is working in qml code Victron has included in the v3.00~14 release but not in my qml code.

I'm using PageSettings.qml as a reference and am nesting objects in the same way:

MbPage {
  model: VisualItemModel {
    MbSubmenu {
      show: blah ....

with this structure, the objects do not hide and I am not receiving an error message.

As mentioned above I've tried other things such as replacing show: with visible: and using VisibleItemModel but these have other issues.

@Jeroen @mvader (Victron Energy) Is this a bug? If not I could really need some help here.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
Hello @Kevin Windrem, please make a separate question for this. While obviously related to this release, please keep the testing threads limited to the parts supported by Victron.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
juf avatar image
juf answered Ā·

Have the feeling that the WLAN is poor with the 3.00.

after reboot it need a long time for connect.

is there any driver update at background?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, no - no changes were made.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
juf avatar image
juf answered Ā·

Hi,

why dose the smartshunt shows details like a BMS?

2131de1c-4c25-4e9d-b9a3-c86601c8f8b8.png
The FW are the latest.

16a6a000-382e-4872-8803-6dbc72047e4b.png

1 comment
2 |3000

Weā€™ll look into that; thank you
0 Likes 0 Ā·
dvb avatar image
dvb answered Ā·

Hello Matthijs @mvader (Victron Energy)

I've upgraded form v2.92 -> 3.00~14, and I would share two problems detected in ESS mode.

System
Multiplus_II_8000 + MPPT_450/200 + several Pylontech_US5000 + PV_6KWc.

Conditions of tests.
- "AC out" was charged all time with 1000W minimum.
- Stable weather with gray skies most of the time.

Test nĀ°1
- ESS mode is "Keep batteries charge" and Pylontech @ 100%.
Issue 1 : MPPT remained off (< 100W).
As soon I have switched to "Optimized with batteryLife at 100%", MPPT reached 800W. (See attached graphs).

Test nĀ°2
- ESS mode is "Optimized with BatteryLife at 100%" and Pylontech @ 100%.
At the beginning, all was OK (power increased quickly and MPPT powered "AC out" instead of grid). Issue 2, even with a setting at 100%, system used battery several times. Then MPPT needed to charge battery, and I used grid again for "AC out". (See attached graphs).

Coud you check if I missed something in setup, or it's issues to fix in next firmware ?

Best regards.
Karim

Graphs :

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=23/01/435m.png
https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=23/01/0ffn.png

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @dvb , sorry for responding so late!

Is this solved in the latest test version?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dvb avatar image dvb mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi @mvader (Victron Energy)

I didn't check and I am still with 3.00~14.
Do you advice to upgrade in 3.00~23 and then check again ?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dvb avatar image dvb dvb commented Ā·
Is mk3 for Multiplus II is mandatory ?

I didn't installed it yet.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
polocamper avatar image
polocamper answered Ā·

Worked for 2 weeks but suddenly all BT sensors are gone. After reboot they are there for some minutes. Back to 2.92.

Raspberry 3B

2 |3000

mr-manuel avatar image
mr-manuel answered Ā·

After the update from 2.92 to 3.00-14 my custom written driver to integrate my PV installation is not displaying the inverter on the pages overview anymore. In the menu is everything shown as before.

Was something changed regarding needed values to display the PV inverter icon with its values? Is there maybe an up to date version of the dbus wiki?

1 comment
2 |3000

hvalentim avatar image
hvalentim answered Ā·

With a Cerbo GX (firmware v3.00~15) where the sole VE.Direct connected device is a SmartShunt 500A (firmware v4.12) I am consistently getting a "Status: No VE.Direct ping reply" message on VRM -> Device List -> Firmware Update.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @hvalentim , that is normal
0 Likes 0 Ā·
hummingbear avatar image
hummingbear answered Ā·

I am running VenusOS 3.0.0~14 and still seeing my Vebus instance ID change. Details here
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/176323/venus-os-v30014-available-for-testing.html

2 |3000

Related Resources