question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v3.00~8 available for testing

Hello all!

A new v3.00 version is available for testing.

Introduction to Venus OS beta testing

In case you don't know what this message is about, please start with reading this link, which explains the Venus OS beta program. Venus OS is the software running on all our GX devices, such as the Cerbo GX.

How to post an issue?

Please keep all findings organised as answers to this question. One answer per issue. So first check the existing threads. If you have the same as someone else already reported, welcome to add a comment saying "me too". And preferably some more details. And in case its not listed yet, add a new Answer. Note that Answers and Comments are two different things!

Lastly, please first revert to the latest official release (v2.92), to double check if the issue you're seeing was present there as well. Regressions require a different treatment than other issues and bugs.

Changes v3.00~4 -> v3.00~8

General

• Multi/Quattro: Fix issue causing a repetitive low battery alarm in case the battery is disconnected
  • ESS: Fix bug introduced in v3.00~2 related to external control mode.
  • Add progress indicator (0 to 100%) to Venus OS firmware download.
  • Fix tank temperature unit (Fahrenheit)
  • Add new VE.Bus product ids (2681, 2723, 2766, 2776)
  • Add diagnostic fields for Multis/Quattros (uptime counter per unit, terminal voltage, Vsense voltage for L1 master and DC ripple)

Modbus-TCP

• com.victronenergy.battery: Add /Dc/0/Power and /Mode, add missing fields to /State enum
  • com.victronenergy.digitalinput: Add "Generator" to /Type enum
  • com.victronenergy.multi (applies to RS products): fix in enum /State

Venus OS Large

Changes v2.92 -> v3.00~4

• For systems having multiple BMSes connected, allow selecting which one should be used for DVCC. It also allows the use of a BMV for SOC tracking -- by selecting BMV as battery monitor -- while still using the BMS for DVCC. A bit of a niche issue for special systems, more technical background here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/901 (but please don't start posting on our github - thanks).
  • Detect Hubble batteries, untested as of yet.
  • Add Polish translations, thank you Jakub T for helping with that!
  • ESS: increase control speed of systems using todays supported meters (ET112, ET330, EM24, and also the ABB ones) a little. But, for faster meters, such as the EM540 which is not available yet, increase it very significantly. Requires updating the built-in MK3-chip, see next bullet.
  • Include a newer version of onboard MK3-chip firmware. Updating that has a 1 to 10% chance of a short system outage (Multi/Quattro shuts down in VE.Bus Error 14, restarts after 30 seconds). And therefore the update needs to be initiated manually from within the menu. Note that this is a reversible action, no need to worry about being unable to roll back. After updating, and then rolling Venus OS back to v2.92 or some other earlier version, the MK3 will automatically (and silently) be downgraded to the for that version of Venus OS required MK3-firmware version.
  • Improve text for tank sensor name in pump configuration.
  • ESS: Fix bug where PV is not used for loads when scheduled charging to 100% during daytime
  • Fix bug where a PV-inverter on AC-in-2 would not be shown in the ESS overview. The workaround was to configure the PV inverter as being on AC-in-1. Not needed anymore.

Venus OS Large

Under water / developer

• Various small under the hood changes, mostly resulting in small reductions of CPU load
  • Replace Hiawatha webserver with nginx; which is better kept up to date (security)
  • Include various OE Dunfell fixes
  • DVCC: simplify transmission of the charge voltage setpoint by sending it always, rather than only if devices that work with it are detected. This won't make a difference to any commonly known system type.

Ps. Here are a few screenshots related to that MK3 firmware. On systems not updated yet, you'll see this (after going to the Device list, and then into the MultiPlus, Quattro or EasySolar listing):

1666825009093.png

And for anyone wanting to make sure its updated, in that same menu, scrolling all the way down to the Device submenu, and going in there, and scrolling down again, you'll find this listing:

1666825094337.png

Wherein the 212 digits are the version number, and thats the old one. And here is what you see after the update:

1666825165306.png

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

12 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered Ā·

Thanks @mvader (Victron Energy) that little progress indicator is such a welcome improvement. Nice!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered Ā·

I have updated my cerbo from 3.0~7 to m3.0~8 and I have also updated the Multiplus II 48 5000 MK2 to Mk3 all went fine

HOWEVER there is a issue with the assistant being the AC Sensor after the MK3 update the readout from the sensor stops working (a reboot of the cerbo fixes this)

Note this is a ON going Minor issue and I dont think its been created by this fw however fix cant be that hard - as a example if you do a online fw update to any multi or quattro then this sensor stops working until the cerbo is rebooted.

Also if you download the multi or quattro settings do a change then upload then the sensor also stops working, again a cerbo reboot fixes the issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Noted @Paul B
0 Likes 0 Ā·
pcurtis avatar image
pcurtis answered Ā·

The Major change in node identification is very welcome. It closes a serious issue where every time I rebooted my system with multiple VE-Direct devices on a Raspberry Pi they got allocated random ttyUSB ports and were disconnected. I have just installed this update and during test the last 3 reboots ended up with my solar charger on three different ttyUSBs but now everything continues seamlessly (as it did for the dozens of reboots with patches from the development branch). Thank you again @Dirk-Jan Faber - it was very tedious reconnecting ~ 24 nodes after a reboot !

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
good to hear that works well for you @pcurtis ! thank you for confirming.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
susiboat avatar image
susiboat answered Ā·

Sorry but I found a bug using the interrupt screen for equalization freezing then working almost as if getting stuck then working.

2 |3000

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered Ā·

I have a colleague trying to update to v3.00-8 from v3.00-7.

It shows that it is loading although I didn't see the progress widget on his that I saw on mine, it looks to go through the update process, then when it reboots, returns to v3.00-7 with -8 still showing as available.

Have tried updating on site and remotely, both same end result.

Any advice appreciated!

5 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented Ā·
try depowering the cerbo completly then redo the update (remove the power cable for 2 min) worth a go you may have already done this though
0 Likes 0 Ā·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ Paul B commented Ā·
Why would that help?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Hi @Wayne ; first of all sorry for the extremely late reaction. I'm going through all the comments now, checking if all were taken care of; and this one wasn't...

Was this issue resolved in the end?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Wayne avatar image Wayne mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Thanks for the follow up, yep, sorted!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Wayne commented Ā·
Ok good!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
devodave avatar image
devodave answered Ā·

V3.00~08 (with Guimods) seems to have resulted in me getting white screen on my cerbo. Everything still visible and providing data in VRM, but I don't have GUI working on my screen or via VRM or root command-line access. Is there a way to revert/reload that doesn't need gui/command line access? (Or is the serial console connection direct to the Cerbo password-free?)

1 comment
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·
GuiMods is not something supported by Victron Energy, Victron Energy allows it, but then you are on your own, please simply limit it here to problems with Victron Energy provided software.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
gazza avatar image
gazza answered Ā·

Loaded v3.00~8 on Multi 2 GX 3000/48 35-32 and MK3 update. All good so far.
The only glitch was AC IN sensor that was introducing wild readings and causing instability, however, a "hard" reboot of the Multi sorted it (I believe others have reported this?)
My main interest/reason for updating was the response of my remote ET112 grid meter, (which I use via a 868Mhz RS485 radio link). Much, much better response now... thank you Victron team!! I have not measured it scientifically but subjectively it appears to be close to the 400W/sec recovery to grid set-point, as was expected from documentation but not experienced with previous Venus firmware?
The net result for me, with 40W grid set-point, on 1min logging is very few inverter over-runs to grid feed-in after heavy loads turned off. For those that aspire to zero feed in this is a massive step in that direction!

2 |3000

Heriber Schutzeichel avatar image
Heriber Schutzeichel answered Ā·

Hello,sorry for my bad English.

I have a problem with V3.00~8. The Pylontech batteries are recognized but not charged even if you set the ESS SOC to 100%.

normally an average of the two batteries is given. Now only one SOC of one battery is shown.

Is that a bug?

3 x Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50 mit Rpi mit Venus OS

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Heriber Schutzeichel , first of all apologies for the slow reply!

Then, I donā€™t think this is a bug. Best try the normal Community for help. Or contact your dealer for help, though Iā€™d understand it if they refuse to help until that Cerbo is replaced by an official GX device.

I hope its either already sorted or sorted soon!

Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
tomcat avatar image
tomcat answered Ā·

I have also 3 x Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50 + 3x Pylontech US5000 with a CerboGX on Venus OS v3.00~8.
Normaly everything is working. But today i had a strange charging behavior too.
SOC Was set to 90% MPPT RS 450/200 was charging with 220W.
Sun was there so I calculated something around 800-1000W.
AC Load was high enough to deliver full power even if BMS is slowing down the charge process for some reason...

screenshot-20221213-132718.png

Then I changed SOC to 85

screenshot-20221213-132806.png

And it starts delivering 780W.
Battery was above 10Ā°C btw...
screenshot-20221213-132723.png

I guess it has to do with bug mentioned above:
"ESS: Fix bug where PV is not used for loads when scheduled charging to 100% during daytime"

2 |3000

Robinson Crusoe avatar image
Robinson Crusoe answered Ā·

Hi there,

Is the "Venus OS v3.00~8" working with the RS Multi?

Are there any improvements in ESS modes?

I'm runnig VenusOS on a Raspberry Pi and the RS Multi with a BIY Battery (48V. 400Ah).

I want to use the RS Multi just as a Charger (and dischager) for the Battery. But for the moment the blue box is as useless brick :(

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

The GX software has little to do with RS internals which is driven by it's firmware.

As suggested on your other post, please read the docs:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Multi_RS_Solar/Multi_RS_Solar-en.pdf

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered Ā·

This bugfix: ESS: Fix bug where PV is not used for loads when scheduled charging to 100% during daytime.

No Scheduled Charging in my case, but this problem where the MPPTs stop generating at 100% SOC, has been bothering me for years. It is still happening.

What happens:
The system runs normally, batts are being recharged, house loads are powered being grid-tied.
Then the SOC hits 100% and sometimes when one does not look, the MPPTs have stopped generating power for the run-of-the-mill house loads. Can lose hours of production.

How do I fix it?
I set the system, if I see it, to Keep Charged, then the MPPTs start generating again.
Now using NodeRED that when the SOC reaches >98% to change the system to Keep Charged. That solves the problem all the time.

Example of last week: 100% SOC is reached, MPPT's stop:
1671541001606.png

Accidentally saw it, set it to Keep Charged, and they kick on again. (NodeRED is running again now.)
Pics are taken 2 minutes apart.

1671541105554.png

System:
5kva MPII, Cerbo with Large OS v3.00~8, 5.2kw panels and 15 x 280ah cell battery bank.

1671541001606.png (709.3 KiB)
1671541105554.png (796.9 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

I believe you're running Louis van der Walt's SerialBMS driver. Please make sure the BMS is not limiting charge, or at least mention it in the bug report.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image Jaco Reinecke Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Not using it no. Stock standard setup, no drivers.

Did some more tests, and when the SOC hits 100%, the MPPTs can stop at any time.

Can now make it happen on demand.

Was on Keep Charged, then I change to Optimized...

1672664747654.png

And The MPPT's stop.

1672664789415.png

Switch back to Keep Charged:

1672664803536.png

And MPPT's start again.

1672664821118.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
1672664747654.png (30.2 KiB)
1672664789415.png (39.4 KiB)
1672664803536.png (19.8 KiB)
1672664821118.png (39.5 KiB)
Jaco Reinecke avatar image Jaco Reinecke Jaco Reinecke commented Ā·
Latest firmware on MPPTs and 497 on the inverter, lastest RC on Cerbo.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
nick-a avatar image
nick-a answered Ā·

Many thanks for the new beta. I'm just testing it now.

The following commands shows that it is still based on an older busybox version.

root@raspberrypi2:~# microcom

BusyBox v1.31.1 (2022-11-18 17:38:55 UTC) multi-call binary.

Usage: microcom [-d DELAY] [-t TIMEOUT] [-s SPEED] [-X] TTY

root@raspberrypi2:~# uname -a

Linux raspberrypi2 5.10.110-rpi-venus-3 #1 SMP Fri Nov 18 18:40:49 UTC 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux

According to https://busybox.net/ it is from 25 October 2019 -- BusyBox 1.31.1 (stable)

The latest version is: 26 December 2021 -- BusyBox 1.35.0 (unstable)

Does this mean that busybox is now an obsolete system? There has been no progress during the last 2022 year.

1 comment
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·
Please make a question for these kind of things, it is completely irrelevant for field testing for Victron Devices. microcom it simply not part of it.
0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources