question

petrkovac avatar image
petrkovac asked

Option for extending battery bank later on with spec conditions

Hi,

I am about to order 2*280-300Ah bats(lets call it PRIMARY battery for short)., but was thinking about more yet, there is no space for that much weight in single area of small caravan. Initially i was thinking about getting 2*460Ah, but it just wouldnt work space/weight wise for vehicle.

Lets say i would like extend PRIMARY field anyway, and would find other place for batteries on other side of vehicle(basically on opposite site of axle) distance between batteries is 2m and lets say i would be going for additional 460Ah later on, lets call this one SECONDARY BATTERY - i suppose function of this battery is just additional STORAGE, dont need to be use and only function is to charge other battery, but must get charge also from PVs..

Now question how we connect this together if i would like to SOCs(2) be able to charge all those batteries from PVs and also i can use them with ease?

For this b2b charger (now please pardon me as i have no idea how technicall b2b chargers works and how they are used) can be used, but that works only one way? i mean what i would need is kinda switch which can disconnect battery from other once i dont wanna charge discharge happend, set charge SECONDARY->PRIMARY and plug SECONDARY into charging from PVs. But technically and safely to do so i have no clue, but there might be someone who did smth like this.

battery chargingLithium Batterystorage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Victron B2B chargers, most of the Orion range, can be switched on/off in two ways.

Manual switching - wire an external switch.

Voltage sensing - charge level input voltage turns on charging This includes engine on detection in vehicles.

The battery being charged is otherwise isolated from the charging battery and does not feed back through the Orion.

Typical wiring would be charger to first battery, first battery loads to it. Orion input to first battery, Orion output to second battery, second battery loads to second battery . Be careful to keep the loads separate electrically.

There's much more in the Orion manuals - go to the product page at victronenergy.com, select the DC: DC chargers and the model that interests you, download manual from there.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petrkovac avatar image petrkovac commented ·
thanks this is answer i was looking for
0 Likes 0 ·
petrkovac avatar image
petrkovac answered ·

Can you explain this more specificaly and maybe with example:

Be careful to keep the loads separate electrically.

I am not sure what this really means.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
If you accidentally connect a load to both battery systems, you have a single battery and the risk of heavy current through a wire which cannot handle it.

Both systems should have a common earth/ground.

0 Likes 0 ·
petrkovac avatar image petrkovac kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I planned to have common busbar for 2 inverters, Main battery bank, DC fuse box and 2 SC. If i set orion charger to charge Main Battery, you mean there is possibility i would put too much current at once from Secondary battery to Primary and it can damage conductors? i thought this is limited by Orion charger + SOC controller together max they can produce, but also i thought orion charge would do lets say 40A max and all conductors should be way above it, i think iam still missing what you mean

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual