question

brassmonkey001 avatar image
brassmonkey001 asked

Can IP22 BlueSmart charger charge different battery technologies?

My van has a FLA starter battery and LiFePO4 leisure batteries. If I install a IP22 with multiple outputs, would it charge the two different battery types on EHU or would I have to manually switch modes to suit?
battery chargingLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@brassmonkey001, unfortunately you'd have to manually switch modes, as different modes for individual legs is not supported; that being said, however, whether you actually need to switch modes depends on your LFP bank manufacturer's recommended charge profile, as many LFP banks are perfectly happy at an FLA charge profile. Battle Borns, for instance, are totally content to charge at 14.4v, which should be the setting for FLA anyway. Just make sure you don't run equalization with the LFP bank connected!

I always defer to the manufacturer's recommended charge profile, of course, so be sure to check that... but it's very likely you'll find that your LFP and FLA banks have very similar recommended charge profiles. The LFP won't require an absorption cycle, but most of them will take it and be happy with it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?