question

james86-9 avatar image
james86-9 asked

Why is my DC load always more than my solar yield?

MPPT ControllersOrion DC-DC Converters not smartsolarinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There is not much information to provide a good answer. What components does your system comprise of? What are the circumstances surrounding your findings?

I'll hazard a guess though and suspect that your battery is full and no energy is going into it and therefore the load power is equal to the solar power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

james86-9 avatar image
james86-9 answered ·

My spec is quattro 24v 8000va I have a temporary setup with two panels of 2 500w just keep it ticking over with a 150/85 mppt along with a color gx I have noticed that the more I make the more DC is used and I have screen shots of this but the load isn't any different ? As you can see the DC load goes up a d down with the solar yield . The only load is the colour GX obviously the losses in the inverter and the mppt so how it goes up and down is beyond me

2 |3000

james86-9 avatar image
james86-9 answered ·

Just an update as you can see no solar as its late and my DC load is as expected but when making solar it rockets to more than I am making at the time .

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi James,

You'll really need to provide more information to get a meaningful answer.
What components are in you system? and how did you configure things?

My first suspicion would be an issue with your battery monitor / bms, it always shows -2.6A current, the system uses this information to calculate DC loads, thus giving the readouts you see.
what did you select as battery monitor in the Venus? (and what is installed?

0 Likes 0 ·
costerman avatar image
costerman answered ·

I see the same thing. I am just charging the batteries and there is no load connected.

I suspect it´s the way the device measures the amps internally.

It may be a software problem in the device?

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Why do you have DC enabled or what additional DC energy resources? Do you have a generator or wind turbine connected?

3 comments
2 |3000

james86-9 avatar image james86-9 commented ·

the only dc power i am using is the color gx and the loads on the 24v side so mppt quattro should i turn dc off then? because when i do my chart shows the power going in to the batters . when dc load is turned on the power goes to direct use but i know the power is charging the baterys as the voltage goes up thoughout the day.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ james86-9 commented ·

Hi @James86_9, dit you read my previous comment?

Hi James,

You'll really need to provide more information to get a meaningful answer.
What components are in you system? and how did you configure things? VRM graphs can also help.

My first suspicion would be an issue with your battery monitor / bms, it always shows -2.6A current, the system uses this information to calculate DC loads, thus giving the readouts you see.
what did you select as battery monitor in the Venus? (and what is installed?

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw james86-9 commented ·

Has DC system - "Enable this for boats, vehicles and installations with DC loads and chargers - in addition to Multi and MPPT chargers. This won't be applicable to most off-grid installations; and any discrepancy between the DC current measured by the Multi, and by the BMV, will be attributed to a 'DC system'. This may be power-in from an alternator, or power-out from a pump, for example.

A positive value indicates consumption. A negative value indicates charging, for example by an alternator.

Note that the value shown will always be an approximation, and is affected by the variation in sample rate between elements of the system."

0 Likes 0 ·
dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

I'm just wondering why is the AC load so low? I don't think it can get this low, even in search mode?

Is there some way it may possibly not being measured correctly on the VE Bus? Like a faulty ethernet cable?

1 comment
2 |3000

the only ac load is the router so i can check up on the chargee state as this set up is in rural france i just dont get how the dc load goes up when its never changed .

0 Likes 0 ·
dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

my 24v 3000w Phoenix inverter sits at 100watts minimum on the AC load, (in Std mode.)

DC power is only the BMV and Venus GX, which fluctuates between 3 and 17 watts.

I'm curious why your reported AC load, including running the Quattro is so low?, but the DC load is quite high, if only the Victron monitoring is running off it?

1 comment
2 |3000

yes its only a lte router thats on the ac load i was thinking that its not that accurate under say 50w? and yes my only losses or load not sure what category that sits in is my equipment.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

My suspicion is that the solar charger is wired to the wrong side of the BMV current shunt (directly to the battery) - accordingly the charge going into the battery is not being measured and the error is calculated to be a 'DC load'.

I recommend to confirm that the wiring for ALL loads AND charge sources are connected to the correct side of the shunt & only the battery is connected to the other side. Maybe take a photo of the shunt & associated wiring so that we can review.

Alternatively, if you don't have a BMV (you don't say) & are using the Quattro as the battery monitor, possibly the 'Use solar charger current to improve VE.Bus SOC' option is not active or actually working properly.

Also check that the correct battery monitor is selected in the CCGX, under 'System Setup' > 'Battery Monitor'. If you have a BMV then that should be selected.

Lastly, if you have no real 'DC loads' connected (like a 24v pump, 24v lighting, etc.) then you should NOT have 'has DC loads' activated - it will only confuse things. The small DC power draw of the CCGX can be neglected.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thank you for your comment I think I figured it out the other day as I thought this thread was over basically any solar that was coming in was showing up as a load because I don't actually have any DC load so I've turned it off and on on my charts it shows now that is going in the batteries everything is wired up professionally by myself and checked and double checked as this is the sort of thing I do but first time I've ever used victron I do have a bmv and it is used to monitor the batteries instead of my Quattro so I think it is job done so many thanks for your comments.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ james86-9 commented ·

No problem, good to hear that it 'seems' to be working now.

But I still think that something is wrong... if you have a BMV then it is measuring all current flowing though it - the moment you turn on 'has DC loads' it shouldn't change what's going into or out of the battery & indicate all solar as a DC load - the current into or out of the battery should be a DIRECT MEASUREMENT from the BMV.

Have you actually checked the CCGX menu to see which battery monitor source has been selected? Even though you have a BMV it could be incorrectly using the Quattro as the battery monitor. That may explain things.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources