question

Øystein Hennø avatar image
Øystein Hennø asked

Globallink 520 - Internal temperature - only random/rear samples

I noticed there is an "Internal Temperature" for the Globallink 520, but it seems like its not sampled on each report? Only randomly/rearly. You can find it on Custom Widget and use it as an Alarm reference.

Is there any plan to fix this sampling issue Victron?

VRMdashboard displaygloballink
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

I suspect this is a remnant from development time and shouldn't show up. There is no real use case for the internal temperature sensor.

I suggest using a RuuviTag for temperature (plus humidity and air pressure), which connects wirelessly to the GlobalLink and use it as an alarm reference. See > https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GlobalLink_520/en/settings-and-diagnostics.html#UUID-f79e2fd6-e2b6-262d-b946-eb78819541b6

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Øystein Hennø avatar image
Øystein Hennø answered ·

It seems to have some kind of internal temperature sensor, so why not use it / fix the issue in the code.

Yes, there are real use cases as it can tell you if the unit is being well taken care of from the environmental perspective. You can read if its too hot in the sun or freezing cold (in winter). By this you can troubleshoot if there has been environmental impacts causing any issue.

Want to avoid additional sensors if I can as its less to maintain. These units are far away on mountain peaks and fixing this would be a great attribute.

1 comment
2 |3000

Lasse avatar image Lasse ♦♦ commented ·

The GlobalLink 520 does have an internal temperature sensor but it is not very precise. And as it is inside the GlobalLink is was also not that useful for most use cases. But i'll check if it would be possible to bring it back to the 15 minute updates.

0 Likes 0 ·
jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

My GL520 does the same. It typically reads its own internal temperature every hour. Occasionally, it will be a 2 hour jump.

2 |3000

Terry LaGrone avatar image
Terry LaGrone answered ·

My GlobalLink 520 shows an internal temperature about 10 C above outside temperature (showing -15 C now) Since outside temperature is below specification limits (specification is -20 C my unit location -25 C currently), I was wondering if the internal heating would allow unit to operate down to much lower temperature. Currently, unit is operating normally.

2 |3000

Related Resources

VRM login page

VRM documentation

VRM API documentation

How to change the Owner of a VRM installation

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic