question

bgardiner avatar image
bgardiner asked

v2.90 problems - how to revert back to v2.80? - 2nd Smart Shunt missing from VRM and alarm log full of low battery warnings.

As per the title, We have an EasySolar II 48/3000 in parallel with two Multiplus II 48/3000. I upgraded the built-in GX device to v2.90 specifically to get the generator start/stop functionality. Despite every piece of Victron information I could find saying this would work - it turns out that the EasySolar range of products do not have the additional relay required.

I have also now discovered that since the upgrade, our 2nd Smart Shunt that monitors our wind turbine has disappeared from the VRM Dashboard. I can connect to it remotely using VictronConnect and it otherwise works as it should.

The second problem is the alarm log for the battery is solid orange with low battery warnings - something that has only started since the upgrade.

Is it possible to revert back to v2.80 as this update has caused so many problems for us - and didn't give the extra functionality promised.

Thanks, Ben.

VRMSmartShuntgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @bgardiner,

Sorry to hear about the issues,

To be direct to your question - there is a very easy way to roll back to the previous version installed.

Go to the Firmware menu item in the GX device remote console and select "Stored backup firmware" and then select the previous firmware version shown in the menu.

cleanshot-2022-09-22-at-164335.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bgardiner avatar image bgardiner commented ·
Thank you for the quick reply Guy,

I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to create further problems for myself in going back a version. I'll try tonight when I'm back in from work.

Thanks again,

Ben.

0 Likes 0 ·
bgardiner avatar image
bgardiner answered ·

I have shutdown and completely turned off our Victron Equipment. On restart, the errors have stopped, so I am going to stick with v2.90 for now. However, our second smart shunt (monitoring our wind turbine) still does not display on the VRM Dashboard. If I change it to 'Battery Monitor' in monitor mode, then it displays correctly. As soon as its changed back to DC Energy, then it dissapears from the dashboard. This only started once we upgraded to v2.90. I have done a factory reset on the Smartshunt and unfortunately the problem persists.

2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

If your smartshunt connects via bluetooth, note that Bluetooth is disabled in V2.90 and you'll need an external bluetooth dongle plugged into the USB port of the GX device for this.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) , I truely hope Bluetooth is brought back and able to be deactivated as an option in the next GX firmware release - especially for those on a cable connection to the internet or an external GX LTE 4G or similar.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @ponzoa,

I am not sure what you mean - but it sounds like it deserves creating a new question with more information.

0 Likes 0 ·
bgardiner avatar image
bgardiner answered ·

The smartshunt connects via a cable (usb). It works absolutely fine when configured as a battery monitor - its only when changed to to a dc source that it dissapears from the vrm dashboard. Even as a dc source, I can still connect to it fine- just not from VRM. This has only happened since v2.90. It's been working fine prior to updating and there's been no other changes.

2 |3000