question

colin avatar image
colin asked

I'd like to propose a change to VRM and venus-OS system diagram DC bus

Please see the attached image for details. Thanks

-----
Edit 2022-09-16
thanks dagamma and Eric M for your comments - the mods community looks awesome, hopefully someday I'll get round to properly delving in there!

My beef is only that I find the current diagram to be misleading (or dare I say straight up wrong?) in that it implies that somehow the DC element somehow goes into the battery first before then being extracted. When in fact the electrical currents balance on the DC bus (Kirchhoff’s Current Law, if memory of my long ago school days serves me right?)vrm-gx-diagrams.png

VRMVenus OSCCGX Color Controlfeature request
vrm-gx-diagrams.png (465.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
dagamma avatar image
dagamma answered ·

It would take the spot of "PV Power" so there's a slim chance they will do that. However it's possible to do on your own device by editing OverviewHub.qml or perhaps something like GUI mods.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Eric M. avatar image
Eric M. answered ·

Good suggestion! Seems it's hard to design a screen that sensibly works equally for a DC based system and ESS systems that rely heavily on a grid system and use AC power mostly.

This display situation has always bugged me greatly as well. GUI mods does have something kind of useful, using their "DC Coupled" system view. It looks like this:
screen-shot-2022-09-14-at-33041-pm.png

I have my batteries as the centerpiece of my off-grid system so this does make more sense. It has always bothered me though that power generation isn't all on the same side. And for some reason the MultiPlus inverter block seems to be the centerpiece, which for me is very rarely used (nearly all DC power generated and consumed).

2 |3000

Related Resources

VRM login page

VRM documentation

VRM API documentation

How to change the Owner of a VRM installation

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.