question

Emre avatar image
Emre asked

Can SmartSolar & SmartShunt sense Load/Charge current and optimize?

I am planning to buy a smartshunt to my setup but I'm not sure if it helps smartsolar's adaptation to third party inverter usage. Could anybody verify? I have seen on one post that smartshunt doesn't share live current data through VE.network.

----

Long explanation: I want my system to recognise constantly changing load on my third party inverter and act accordingly. For example, at current setup I cannot set a proper tail amp for my bank. That annoys me. I'm currently way over my budget but if it helps I would buy that also.

Rv solar system:

Battery: lead gel deep cycle 12v 100ah x 10pcs / 2s 5p | midpoints connected

Battery balancing: no brand capacitive 2s balancer from amazon

Inverter: 3000w 230v cotek sk3000-224

Pv1: 3s 2p total 1380 w on 100/50 SmartSolar mppt

Pv2: 3s 1p total 615 w on 100/30 SmartSolar mppt

Both Mppt are on same ve.network and syncing.

SmartShuntsolarVE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@esunayg

The only time I have read of a smart shunt not sending live data over the VE Network is when a GX is connected, and the battery current data is only shown when the mppt is actually charging.

See here, last paragraph.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Emre avatar image
Emre answered ·

@Alexandra Thank you for your response. I was referring to this question (second post). I have read your link (the guide) before but I have thought it is referring the solar current, not considering shunt nor shows solar minus load current.

2 |3000

Emre avatar image
Emre answered ·

Update: I have just bought a smartshunt 500. Seems like doing more than i need. If youre also interested, check the manual not the smartshunt flyer like I did :). It tells almost everything about it. Hope it will help better understand battery status.

2 |3000

Related Resources

SmartShunt Product Page

SmartShunt Installation Manual

SmartShunt Quick Installation Guide

SmartShunt Datasheet

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual