question

ash avatar image
ash asked

Retrieve data from VE.Smart network

Is there anyway of getting data from a VE.Smart network into a third party device?

I'm looking for:

- Panel and charge data from MPPT SmartSolar

- State of Charge and battery data from SmartShunt

- Current values from Smart BatteryProtect

Thanks!

VE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

Using ve.direct you can access most of the data you require.

Victron opensource Has more information on ways to interface with your equipment. Venus Pi would be my first choice for multiple products and in addition to the VRM it can also export to mqtt. Arduino could also work, depending on what you want to do with the data.

I don’t think there is any solution using the ve.smart network currently.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ash avatar image
ash answered ·

Thanks for the reply Vance,

I have been using the ve.direct protocol to pull in data from the MPPT, was hoping that when the shunt joined the ve.smart network the data from both would flow from both through the same ve.direct port. Doesn't look like that is the case though!

It would be nice if there was a way of interrogating the data from a ve.smart network minimal cabling.

2 |3000

Edouard Lafargue avatar image
Edouard Lafargue answered ·

I have started looking into this - it doesn't seem like Victron has made it easy.

VE.Smart seems to be based on BLE advertisements, which makes it a great system for passively monitoring data, since you only need to listen for BLE advertisements with no pairing or explicit connection to make.

On the other hand it looks like the data structure is, if not encrypted, at least obfuscated. The only obvious part is an uptime counter in milliseconds at byte 7 to 10 (4 bytes), and a header that remains always the same at bytes 1 to 6 (counting from one).

I would be really interested to hear if anyone has managed to decode those broadcasts, since they would make it super elegant to build a passive monitor without disturbing an existing installation.

2 |3000

goboatingnow avatar image
goboatingnow answered ·

I was wondering if any progress has been made in deciding the Ve.smart protocol. This is on my list for the winter , I have good Bluetooth diagnostics equipment.

The real solution is for victron to market a usb to Ve,smart dongle. This would allow a simple serial protocol to query the Ve.smart network and even if only read only at least basic device reporting on the lines of Ve.Direct could be used

2 |3000

Jan Neumann avatar image
Jan Neumann answered ·

Any progress on this?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual