question

rex2022 avatar image
rex2022 asked

Networking Many MPPT Controllers

I am installing a larger array on a boat. I intend to use a MPPT controller for each panel, but maybe one controller for every 2 panels. This means 6 or 12 MPPT controllers. I have a Multiplus and may buy a Cerbo GX... Or do a Venus on Pi Solution. Also in the system are several Victron LFP Batteries and a Lynx BMS, possibly a BM-712 Shunt.

This seems to hit the biggest area of weakness in Victrons lineup-- everything uses a different interface. But the MPPT controllers should coordinate so that they are all charging the batteries in sync.

How do I do this in a reasonable space? Do I have to use the Ve.Can controllers just for this feature?

MPPT ControllersVenus OSVE.Directgx deviceVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

With many MPPT controllers, you are likely to want to use the small VE.Direct ones, the large VE.Can ones would not be cost effective.

Due to CPU resources, there are limits to the number of VE.Direct devices that can be connected. There is a comparison table which highligts these limitations, linked below.
Also the different products have different number of physical VE.Direct interfaces. It's possible to expand the interfaces using USB-VE.Direct dongles, but if you plan to use a number of VE.Direct devices, then it may be worth selecting one of the models which sport lots of VE.Direct interfaces, like the Octo GX or Maxi GX.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.