question

sweyn avatar image
sweyn asked

Victron Lifepo4 never goes to float. Is this a problem?

My system is all Victeon. CerboGX, Victron Smart LiFePO4 200Ah, Multiplus, Lynx Smart BMS MPPTs etc and everything is controlled by DVCC so as far as I’m aware it should be self managing, but it just sits in Absorbtion from the Multiplus output once the battery is full.

Is this fine?

I’m worried that it will damage the battery to be constantly in Absorbtion for months on end.

BMSmultiplus ve.busfloat
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Sweyn

Yes, that's how it works. Just ignore that and look at the voltage rather than the charge mode. It is voltage controlled by your GX device.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sweyn avatar image sweyn commented ·
Ah, ok. I didn’t realise that it could change voltage within the mode.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sweyn commented ·

We are virtually in the middle of the transition from lead-acid to LiFePo4 era. Therefore, there are still the terms like bulk, absorption and float. The Lynx Smart BMS and DVCC are already changing that a bit. The compatible chargers (MultiPlus, SmartSolar) are now informed of so-called voltage targets. For a 12.80V Lithium Smart battery this is either 13.50V or 14.20V (see screenshot - also depending on the SoC threshold in the settings for the Lynx Smart BMS). So the chargers no longer follow a charging algorithm but a Voltage target, but still show Bulk, Absorption and sometimes Float to some extent. The day will come when this will hopefully finally disappear.

bildschirmfoto-2022-09-01-um-190855.png

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic