question

Danilo M. avatar image
Danilo M. asked

Victron system problem here

So i have a Victron system with:
SmartLithium Battery 200ah, VE.BMS, 2 Battery Smart protector (1 Engine - 1 to the Battery) Multiplus I 1200, Orion 30ah, SmartSolar 30ah, Cerbo GX.

But something went wrong yesterday, in the middle of the night.
I tested this new system for 2 months and all seems worked pretty well, but as you can see in the VRM graph, something happened yesterday from 00:00 to 8:00 and bms has cut out the multiplus.

vrm-discharge.png

At 9:00 I checked the Victron app too and i found this battery msg:9am-unbalanced.jpg

In the same time Victron Smartshunt say this:
9am-smartshunt.jpg

Someone know what the *p*luck is happening?
I don't have heavy loads in my RV, specially in the night, i have a 60l Fridge by Indelb, an external Monitor, a Macbook and an electrical standing desk.
Fridge, monitor and electrical standing desk was connected during this discharge.

Currently im connected to a grid but battery want charge... i think it's because the bms is cutting out the multiplus. I tryed disconnect all 220v plugs from wall and disconnect and riconnect the entire system, but same problem, battery want recharge.

battery chargingLithium BatteryBMSSmartShunt
vrm-discharge.png (421.9 KiB)
9am-unbalanced.jpg (80.3 KiB)
9am-smartshunt.jpg (61.2 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
You have 2 smart battery protects, what state are they in?
0 Likes 0 ·
Danilo M. avatar image Danilo M. klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The one connected to the engine say Active, the one connected to the battery say this:

screenshot-2022-08-21-at-105636.png

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Danilo M. commented ·
Disabled by REMOTE. BMS?

Multiplus is running, but unable to charge the battery? Seems a bit odd.

0 Likes 0 ·
Multiplus is disconnected by VE.BMS, currently multiplus alarm light blink.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Panos avatar image
Panos answered ·

do you have the bms mains detector?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Danilo M. avatar image Danilo M. commented ·
Yes
0 Likes 0 ·
Panos avatar image
Panos answered ·

try disconnect also dc

2 |3000

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Danilo M.

A-SL 11 = low cell voltage alarm. One of the battery cells went below the allowed-to-discharge threshold (default 2.80V - check your battery settings). The BTV inside the battery signals this to the VE.Bus BMS, which then disconnects the loads (load disconnect) to protect your battery from being further discharged.

I suggest leaving your loads disconnected and charging the battery with your chargers (Orion Smart and Solarcharger) as recommended in the manual including sufficient time to balance the battery (at least 2 hours absorption). With MPPT and Orion, this can take some time, possibly even days. See also Q2 and Q3 in the VE.Bus BMS manual.

A system diagram and screenshot of your battery's cell voltages in VictronConnect (currently covered by the alarm message) may also be helpful as the reported voltage from your SmartShunt does not match with the battery alarm or is reporting something other than the battery voltage.

7 comments
2 |3000

Danilo M. avatar image Danilo M. commented ·

Currently cells are balanced, i'm connected to the grid and i think bms maintain their voltage on a safe level.

screenshot-2022-08-21-at-112852.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Danilo M. commented ·

Currently cells are balanced, i'm connected to the grid and i think bms maintain their voltage on a safe level.

This is far from balanced and nowhere near a safe level.

The lowest cell might be the one causing the alarm as it went below 2.80V. Now that the system is disconnected, the voltage slowly went up above the threshold - resting voltage.

The battery is completely discharged and does not match your SmartShunt display so your SmartShunt settings might be wrong as well.

As said, show us a system diagram or an images of your installation with more detail, SmartShunt settings etc. This is really a guess game so far.

And also check your MultiPlus settings e.g. low voltage disconnect and reconnect, VE.Bus BMS Assistant loaded etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Danilo M. avatar image Danilo M. Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I choose every single product for my RV, but i'm not the guy who installed them.
Here a sequence of the system. (i forgot to shoot a photo to the Multiplus).

undefined-1.jpeg

undefined-2.jpeg

undefined-3.jpeg

undefined.jpeg

I think BMS is deceived by Smartshunt who say to the entire system "Hey it's all fine", could be a thing like that?

Smartshunt settings:
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

I've checked the Multiplus via bluetooth dongle and currently is set to "battery charger only", if i force the setting via app nothing happen.

0 Likes 0 ·
undefined-1.jpeg (152.3 KiB)
undefined-2.jpeg (169.5 KiB)
undefined-3.jpeg (175.9 KiB)
undefined.jpeg (155.4 KiB)
1.jpeg (76.5 KiB)
2.jpeg (52.5 KiB)
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Danilo M. commented ·

Thanks.

It is still unclear how your MultiPlus is wired on the DC side. See if you can come up with system diagram or ask your installer about it where we can see how the DC cables are wired. Just a feeling but I have the suspicion that it is powered through one of the BatteryProtects (the one what is off), which would be entirely wrong.

Also check your SmartShunt settings and change it like so:

Charged voltage: 14.0V

Peukert exponent: 1.05

Once your battery is fully charged, the SmartShunt will sync again to 100% and then display the correct values for SoC. At the moment it is completely off due to wrong settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
Danilo M. avatar image Danilo M. Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I will check the system wire in the next days.

Btw big news.. from victron app, in the smartlithium settings i restarted the controller and now battery is charging again and bms un locked multiplus.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Danilo M. commented ·

A few things need attention.

Dunno how important the VE bus bms ground wire is??

ve-bus-bms.png

Your VE bus smart dongle is purely for decoration.? (well it might measure the batt voltage, but nothing else)

Your Smart Shunt has a temp sensor wired to one of it's terminals, FUBAR. The power wire (voltage sense) goes to the bus? rather than the battery?

1 Like 1 ·
ve-bus-bms.png (502.4 KiB)

I don't have answers about schemes and wiring things, i'm just a "user" not a technician.

But im a software engineer so i know some stuff about victron software, nothing more.

Btw the dongle ethernet cable is disconnect because on Multiplus (version I not II) i only have 1 free ethernet port and i switch between cerbo and dongle when i need the dongle...

0 Likes 0 ·