question

fartkek avatar image
fartkek asked

Can a tank sender be a long distance from a Cerbo GX

My fresh water tank is about 15 metres from the Cerbo GX unit. I'm looking at installing a 0-10V sender unit to monitor the tank levels.

I'm guessing that 15m is too far for a USB connection (eg. if a GX tank 140 were used), so what are my options for connecting my tank senders to the Cerbo GX over this distance? I haven't committed to the aforementioned sender, so if there is a better sender option which doesn't require drilling into the tank to install and can send over this distance, I'd be glad to hear about those, too.

cerbo gxwiringtank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hi Fartkek, you can also use a NMEA2000 tank level sensor.
15m distance and a proper cable will work for the 0..10V. Not a problem

Best regards, Rob

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Andrea avatar image
Andrea answered ·

Hy Fartkek in electrical automation is preferred to use 4-20mA sensor on the plant that why an impressed current don't feel the resistance in a loop....a voltage sensor with 0-10V you can lost some mV by wire resistence and the signal can be different from the real value. Another advantage of the current loop is the start at 4mA and not a 0 is a check of the sensor loop is connected....if the loop is broken or the sensor damaged the current move to 0....at the same if sensor or the line move to a short circuit the current grow up to 20mA. The control system check that out limit and send a error message...by voltage sensor 0-10V if the tank is empty you have 0V but you can have 0V with a problem on the cable line....

2 |3000