question

hry avatar image
hry asked

Low amp soft starter recommendations?

Hello!

Like many others, I have a small fridge which is creating such a surge when the compressor kicks in that it hits the inverter (Phoenix 12/800) too hard.

The solution would be a soft-start module between the fridge and inverter. I am only finding these at around 16A current limitation. This would mean a peak wattage limit (~3500W) above what the fridge is creating anyway, and still higher than the peak the inverter can handle.

Is my reasoning correct?

Or, would a common 16A soft-start module do the trick anyway?

Or, can you recommend any low amp (by my maths, less than 6A) soft-start modules to keep the peak below inverter peak?

Thanks in advance!

H

Phoenix Invertermodificationspeak
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

There are 3 options here:

1) Get a DC powered fridge - Danfoss make a 12/24V module that drives a small 3 phase compressor.

2) Get a larger inverter that can handle the peak power for the fridge - possibly use this only for the fridge.

3) Get a fridge with an inverter compressor. This will have low inrush current.

An 800W inverter I would regard as too small for running a fridge on, and small soft starters aren't common (as you have found) - and probably would not work as the compressor motor needs high torque to start. An attempt to soft start this would likely end up with a stalled motor, which would burn out.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

Copied from a previous post of mine:

Surge currents can be a real issue and are apparently often much higher than anticipated.

Inverters vary enormously in their peak surge versus time capabilities.

A few years ago I had a 70l 100W rated "bar" fridge in our motorhome.

A quality 600W inverter could never start the compressor while a 800W would start it with some effort but it would stall about once a week requiring a restart. A 1200W inverter was neccessary for 100% reliability.

I experimented with several "soft start" devices and Googled circuitry with no improvement - ever. Others hopefully have more success. Try before you buy would be wise.

By contrast our much larger 255l Samsung fridge with a digital inverter compressor has now survived 8 years of fulltime travel powered by a dedicated 300W PSW inverter running 24/7.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.