question

hry avatar image
hry asked

Phoenix 12|800 Inverter - surge / peak / spike protection or smoothing for refrigerator?

Hello!

I have a setup running a Phoenix 12/800. It is all running very nicely with one issue:

We have a very small (43L) Ikea fridge/freezer which uses only about 30W continuous power when on. The problem is, when it cycles to ON (ie compressor kicks in), it demands such a peak that the inverter jumps into the red zone of the meter (bluetooth app) for about half a second before coming way back down to 30W. In this time the inverter is clearly struggling and the lights dim etc! While plugged in, the fridge cycles on/off once every 5-10 minutes. Naturally we have now disconnected the fridge.

• Is there some utility to 'absorb' / 'smooth' this peak as not to stress the inverter so much? Will a surge protector do this, or just turn off?
  • Are there fridges with smoother / softer peaks, or is this a universal issue?

FYI: Battery bank is 3x 280Ah 12V, with 35mm2 wire connecting. Wire from battery bank to inverter is 25mm2, which i believe is the largest you can fit into the connectors on the inverter housing.

Update: some have recommended soft start modules, if anyone can recommend a specific unit I would be grateful!

Many thanks for any input!

H

Phoenix Invertermodificationspeak
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It's common, most motors do this.

a look for soft start modules. They plug into the socket and the fridge plugs into the module.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hry avatar image hry commented ·
Many thanks for the suggestion, Kev, I will look into those. Any specific recommendations you have used?
0 Likes 0 ·
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

Surge currents can be a real issue and are apparently often much higher than anticipated.

Inverters vary enormously in their peak surge versus time capabilities.

A few years ago I had a 70l 100W rated "bar" fridge in our motorhome.

A quality 600W inverter could never start the compressor while a 800W would start it with some effort but it would stall about once a week requiring a restart. A 1200W inverter was neccessary for 100% reliability.

I experimented with several "soft start" devices and Googled circuitry with no improvement - ever. Others hopefully have more success. Try before you buy would be wise.

By contrast our much larger 255l Samsung fridge with a digital inverter compressor has now survived 8 years of fulltime travel powered by a dedicated 300W PSW inverter running 24/7.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.