question

southsideph avatar image
southsideph asked

Urgent Help Multiplus 12/1600/70-16

Anyone who can help or point me in the right direction.

Happened a few times now. When my multiplus is in Absorption, starts off 14.4V ish then shoots up to 16.2v which which causes over voltage alarms. Don't know if this has damaged DC system yet but I suspect the batteries, although the current is low. I suspect the multiplus is faulty.

1657353448760.png

1657353591656.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Rgds

VRMBMV Battery Monitormultiplus ve.bus
1657353448760.png (39.0 KiB)
1657353591656.png (14.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

How long are these high voltage periods. What batteries are installed. Is the installation in a vehicle?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

southsideph avatar image southsideph commented ·

Batteries are 2 x 130AH AGM, Yes it is in a vehicle. The over voltage alarm goes off and this is usually in the middle of the night, when charger kicks in on low battery. When alarms go off usually disconnect from mains

1 x Multiplus 12/1600/70-16

2 x 100/20 Smarsolar MPPT

1 x BMV712

1 x GX Device

VE.Direct and VE.Bus

VE.Configure Multiplus

1657384239289.png

Rgds

0 Likes 0 ·
1657384239289.png (33.3 KiB)
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Did the multi change over to float charge? 12hrs in absorb seems odd.

Could some other charger be charging the batts as well?

2 |3000

scottd avatar image
scottd answered ·

You should check your multi settings for charging. I am on Lithium maybe these will help you.

1657403687813.png

1657403687813.png (100.9 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@SouthsidePH

If you can, download the data sheet for your batteries. And check the labels on them for charge parameters.

As @ScottD said, likely this is caused by the wrong battery settings. For some lithium setups 14.4V is too high. First thing that stands out is that the lithium box isn't ticked.

Remember to check MPPTs as well. Settings should match, or if you have a charge voltage range on the batteries, set the multiplus voltages slightly lower to prioritise solar.

0 Likes 0 ·
southsideph avatar image southsideph kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Hi

Thankyou for your reply - the batteries are 12V 130AH AGM batteries and the settings are from the battery data sheet. I can't find anywhere In any of the configurations MPPT/Orion/Multiplus, that would push the voltage to 16.2V.

0 Likes 0 ·
scottd avatar image scottd southsideph commented ·

In Veconfigure 3 there is a battery type drop down. You can use to select the type of battery and then you can fine tune the settings. As in my previous screen dump. You would want to untick Lithium. You would obviously be looking at the Absorption voltage in the console. MPPT and Multi Charge settings are 2 different settings. Just FYI. You would need the system to be on the VRM portal to download the settings from the multi under devices. https://vrm.victronenergy.com/login

Remote VEConfigure

Would you like to download and upload Remote VEConfigure files from and to the devices connected to your GX device?

Once you are connected to the VRM portal and the install is found.

You can get the tools from https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

VE Configuration tools for VE.Bus Products

Download the settings as outlined above and then open them in the Ve Confiigure 3 app installed on the windows computer. To save any changes to the configuration file for uploading. Just close the application and it will prompt to write the file. You can then upload the file to the multi and the configuration will be applied.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I can think of two possibilities. Some other charging source, but that's ruled out, fault in the unit.

Sorry but I think you need to get this back to the seller under warranty.

2 |3000