question

veas avatar image
veas asked

Is it possible to control the relay on a BMV-712 over VRM?

Is it possible to manually control the relay port on BMV-712 with VRM, running on a Raspberry PI.? Just a simple on/off button starting the remote console in VRM ?

VRMBMV Battery MonitorRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
chuff avatar image
chuff answered ·

Hi, after investigation i found the way to control the BMV relay from venus command line.

Maybe this could also be coded on VRM somewhere....

Assume that a BMV7xx is connected on VEdirect bus as port 2 (ttyO2 device):

Power ON : dbus -y com.victronenergy.battery.ttyO2 /Devices/0/VregLink SetVreg %0x034E 1

Power OFF: dbus -y com.victronenergy.battery.ttyO2 /Devices/0/VregLink SetVreg %0x034E 0

Please note also that the setup on the BMV is set as "Remote Control" with Victron Connect, you can force this setup with: dbus -y com.victronenergy.battery.ttyO2 /Devices/0/VregLink SetVreg %0x034F 2
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

This is possible to do using the Remote relay mode, which allows a manual toggle on/off, and Victron Connect via VRM.

4 comments
2 |3000

David avatar image David commented ·

This is an excellent update :) Just tried this on my setup with a Venus GX and another with a Raspberry Pi running Venus OS and does exactly what it says on the tin.

0 Likes 0 ·
rainerb avatar image rainerb commented ·

Hi. Where is the exact location of the toggle on/off function of the relay? I activated the remote relay mode in my BMV 712 but I can't find a way to manually switch the relay on or off. Neither in Victron connect nor in the VRM Portal. Please give me a hint...

Regards Rainer

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ rainerb commented ·

It's not a 'button', but via VictronConnect-Remote, you can remotely access the BMV (via the VRM portal) and monitor or make changes remotely; just like you were standing in front of the BMV communicating via Bluetooth.

This is the related manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#victonconnect-remote_vc-r_configuration_and_monitoring_via_vrm

0 Likes 0 ·
rainerb avatar image rainerb Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Mark. I know Victron connect but which option should toggle the relay? I connected my Multimeter to the relay contacts but "Invert relay" has no effect on the physical state of the relay.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Leave the relay mode as 'Default'.

For full manual relay control disable all automatic control methods (including SOC) and then just use the 'Invert relay' switch to close or open the relay contacts.

1 comment
2 |3000

rainerb avatar image rainerb commented ·

Now it works. Thank you again...

0 Likes 0 ·