question

sanchuka avatar image
sanchuka asked

Pylontech US3000 Upgrade (Should change BMS Type Cable?)

Hello,

I'm offgrid user and today added 2 pylontech us3000c to my existing us3000b. Since us3000c is now master battery i read that should be use victron bms type a cable. Since i have previous victron bms type b cable i connected with it and is working (5 modules recognized). I'm planning to change it when i travel near a victron dealer as per documents recommendation, but is unsafe using like this meanwhile? what is the function of pin "gnd" where i notice is the cable difference?

Thanks, attached some pictures. (balancing cells before connect to cerbo. cerbo gx information after connecting) winter time patagonia-southamerica.

a37013a8-5711-4564-9ee7-1c46e3d972e0.jpeg

bd22dd62-280f-4001-aff1-fa31fefcb54f.jpeg

819d8145-853e-4d04-b336-c5248b5b4d5c.png

8c49a7b9-1e7c-4adb-8e0a-3a97dd039e8e.jpeg

cerbo gxBMSPylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sanchuka avatar image
sanchuka answered ·

@Ned Yu (Pylontech) May you help me please with your advice and technical comments, Thank you! Regards!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

In theory yes, you need to change your cable. I would change it, even if it is reading info from the battery as it's a low cost item.

1 comment
2 |3000

sanchuka avatar image sanchuka commented ·
yes, as soon arrives to city new cable type A i will change it. Meanwhile i hope not to be unsafe using it like mentioned above (cable type B). thank you!
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Sanchuka,

I think you are doing everything correctly, get that cable changed as soon as possible.

My limited understanding is that your current configuration opens the possibility for a potential differential which could in some circumstances lead to communications issues, and potentially damage to the communications chips, as there might be an earth/ground differential. This is not a certainty, not even very likely and would indicate some other issue with the system, so it's not an urgent situation - but definitely one you want have resolved long term.

If the extra capacity for the system is not important, I would leave the extra battery shut down and disconnected until the correct cable can be installed.

If the extra capacity for the system IS important, then I would continue as you have it, operational, and then replace the cable as soon as you can.

1 comment
2 |3000

sanchuka avatar image sanchuka commented ·
Thanks for the explanation. I will change it next weeks when i go physically to the installation. Right now is just a router and couple of wifi cameras as consumption (little cottage), so far no issues. Glad to have Victron support. Regards!
0 Likes 0 ·