question

ben-rolfe avatar image
ben-rolfe asked

Which DC-DC Charger to choose

Hi,

I'm looking at setting up a DC-DC charger in my Subaru Forester for my leisure battery that is purely used to keep my Engel going overnight in the car.

I have The Rover Lithium 70Ah Power Station

https://www.companionoutdoor.com/rover-lithium-70ah-power-station

• 70AH Lithium NMC Battery
  • Cell Chemistry: LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC)
  • DC Charger: 14V 7A (Max 110W)
  • AC Charger: 16.8V 5A

My Questions are:

1. Are the DC-DC chargers compatible with Lithium NMC battery’s?
  2. Which Model DC-DC charger would be compatible to charge my Lithium Battery?
Lithium Batteryorion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If you have the battery charging parameters, it might be possible to program the Orion with them. Use a TR smart with the current and voltages needed. I say this because the specs you quote are confusing.

As the minimum output current, model dependant, is higher than quoted above, be careful. There isn't a setting to reduce output current below the rated output. I think there used to be a 9A model, but it's not listed on the company website at the moment.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Yes to lithium, but as it's NMC, you'll need to get the charging parameters and set them

2 |3000