question

bilgebay avatar image
bilgebay asked

Cerbo GX - USB Bluetooth / How can I make sure that Cerbo is using the USB Bluetooth dongle ?

Hello folks,

I have installed some Ruuvi tags to my trailer to work with the Cerbo GX for temp and humidity data collection. It is recommended to use a USB Bluetooth Dongle for better comunication with the Ruuvi tags so I purchased one of the recommended BT dongles (TP-Link 400xx). I have inserted this into one of the USB ports on the Cerbo but I'm not sure whether Cerbo is using this USB dongle or its internal BT. I have dug into the settings but failed to see a menu where I can switch from the internal BT to the external one.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best

Sedat

cerbo gxBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

13 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @bilgebay,

The Ruuvi use all connected (and working) Bluetooth adapters. If the internal fails due to heat, it still continuous to work with the connected dongle.

In the upcoming Venus OS v2.90 (see our beta firmware here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/140258/venus-os-v29014-available-for-testing.html) there is an option to see all connected adapters.

bildschirmfoto-2022-06-17-um-173001.png bildschirmfoto-2022-06-17-um-173010.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bilgebay avatar image
bilgebay answered ·

Hello Stefanie,

Thank you for your kind reply. I will be looking forward to the update. Currently, I'm not able to verify the external BT adapter is functional or not let alone whether the ruuvi tags are communicating via this new adapter.

Best

Sedat

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The Cerbo will work with most USB > bluetooth dongles.

The Cerbo will not be able to use a VE Direct bluetooth smart dongle..

1 Like 1 ·
sashaberk avatar image
sashaberk answered ·

I have similar situation. My CerboGX was happily talking to my 3 Ruuvis for a month and then just stopped one day. I was using internal Cerbo GX bluetooth. I found some articlles here recommending external bluetooth adapters, ordered one.

But my question is:

I'm currently running the latest beta release for Cerbo 2.90-14. But I don't see anything like what's shown on the pictures above. I don't even see "Bluetooth" menu item anywhere in "Settings" on the console menus.

2 |3000

hardy-tuner avatar image
hardy-tuner answered ·

Advanced Bluetooth menu is shown with additional usb Bluetooth Adapter. The list of tested and supported devices can be found here in

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/de/installation.html#UUID-572ae5ae-b9c9-b5a8-ea10-4940ba072b03

Insignia (NS-PCY5BMA2)

• Logilink BT0037

• TP-Link UB400(UN)

• Ewent EW1085R4

• Laird BT820

• Laird BT851

• Kinivo BTD-400

• Ideapro USB-Bluetooth-Adapter 4.0

1 comment
2 |3000

tharayman avatar image tharayman commented ·
Is there some devices that is better than the other? Kind of disapointed that Victron did not choose the best BT chip when putting together their device.
0 Likes 0 ·
cleverheart avatar image
cleverheart answered ·

I've had success with Cerbo GX running v2.87 + 3 x Ruuvi + TP-Link UB5A BT 5.0 USB Adaptor

Yes, sometimes the Ruuvis disappear... restartig the Cerbo GX seems to fix this :-)

Link to BT USB Adaptor: https://bit.ly/3PjId4k

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I'd like to see a way to disable the internal bluetooth in order to test the external one. Right now it appears we need to wait for a very hot day and the internal bluetooth interface to shut down in order to determine if the external one is working. I found this line in dmesg and it isn't clear if this is an error or if the external bluetooth (a TP-Link UB400) is actually functional:

[ 6.305114] Bluetooth: hci1: unexpected event for opcode 0x0000

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Looking at what I purchased and it does not appear to be a Tp-Link UB400(un). Just a UB400. All literature says PC/Windows only. I can not find anything about UB400(un) on the web. Will this work with Cerbo???? It does show up in the bluetooth adapters list.
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell Kevin Windrem commented ·

I also purchased a TP-Link UB400 without any mention of the (UN) because like you I could not find a (UN) variant to use with my Mopeka sensors. There are 2 6mm thick steel plates between my LPG bottles and the Cerbo GX and the connection was very poor, kept dropping out and reading the wrong level. With the TP-Link UB400 closer to the LPG bottles than the Cerbo GX I get a permanent connection that is always accurate, therefore I conclude that this dongle works OK.

Attached VRM.plots of with Cerbo GX internal Bluetooth and with the TP-Link UB400 dongle.

screenshot-20220917-150357-kindlephoto-1232777447.pngCerbo GX internal Bluetooth

screenshot-20220917-150117-kindlephoto-1232617905.pngTP-Link UB400

0 Likes 0 ·
tharayman avatar image tharayman commented ·
It is possible to use both?
0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

I just received a Logilink BT0037 and plugged it into my Cerbo GX V2.90. However, I still don't have a Bluetooth option in I/O or anywhere else. At the end, I've just rolled back to V2.89 and Bluetooth is back. Happy days - although I feel this is something that needs to be resolved for future updates and can't or shouldn't stay like this.

Am I missing something or do I need to do anything else to have Bluetooth work on V2.90?

2 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

@ponzoa mine just worked when I upgraded to V2.90 on a TP-Link UB400 but it took a few minutes to detect the Bluetooth and my Mopeka level sensors, I do not have Ruuvi sensors. Try rebooting after upgrading.

0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image ponzoa pwfarnell commented ·

I rebooted, hard reset, and even left it there for a while. I checked the Logilink BT0037 on a windows laptop and it detected it fine and installed the drivers etc so it doesn't seem to be the USB Dongle.

I've just stuck it in the Cerbo GX again and went back to V2.90 and I'll leave it overnight, Fingers crossed. Thinking about going to "Large" to see if it pops up there but hoping to avoid that one as I'm not sure what the role back to "Normal" is like.

0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

I just ordered a Tp-Link UB400 nano which is expected to arrive tomorrow. We'lll see how that goes. Still no luck with the Logiling BT0037 despite patience and a couple of restarts

2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

TP-link UB400 installed and again, no luck. That is, no Bluetooth option. That's 2 USB Bluetooth dongles that are on the approved list and don't work with my Cerbo GX with V2.90

Still open for suggestions.

6 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Just to be sure: the USB port closest to the HDMI port is power only. Make sure the bluetooth dongle is plugged into one of the other two USB ports.

If you are out of ports, an external hub can be added.

0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image ponzoa Kevin Windrem commented ·
I've tested all three ports with no luck. I'm starting to believe I may have a faulty USB Bus in my Cerbo GX. I'll try to test a dongle in one of my clients installations later this week.

Am I the only one having issues with these on a Cerbo in V2.90?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem ponzoa commented ·

Count me as one NOT having issues. The internal bluetooth works until ambient temp around Cerbo gets up to 100 degrees F. I am also running a TP-Link UB400 and it is showing up under Bluetooth adapters. I haven't had any hot days so not sure if the dongle will pick up when the internal shuts down. No way to force the internal to shut down that I know of.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Kevin Windrem commented ·

No issues with bluetooth on v2.90 or v2.89 (or earlier versions either)

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem ponzoa commented ·
You might try plugging in another USB device to your Cerbo. I think a mouse or keyboard will work but you could also use another interface: a VE.direct USB cable, a USB GPS ....
0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image ponzoa Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks Kevin, BT is working fine on V2.89 so I suspect no temo issues. External temp near the Cerbo GX is around 31ºC. It's in V2.90 that I have no BT, neither internal nor external dongles.

I'll try my dongles in another Cerbo this week as see if I have better luck there. This would confirm issues or not. I don't have other USB devices to test with handy.

0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

I tried the dongles on a new Cerbo GX from another installation running V2.90 and it seems to work, I have no way of knowing if this is the internal or external bluetooth adaptor.

2 |3000

mankabonn avatar image
mankabonn answered ·

I got a Edimax EW-7611ULB - and it worked. I was able to connect and setup WiFi and BT with 2.90. After removing the Dongle the Cerbo connects with the internal WiFi and BT and works great now. I have all the settings screenshot-2022-09-27-at-09-24-14-manka-vrm-portal.png

2 |3000

jjbond avatar image
jjbond answered ·

There's something bigger going on, same thing happened to me, I just noticed I no longer had my 5 Ruuvi's showing on VRM, I logged into the Cerbo and didn't even have them listed, nor did I have any bluetooth listed and the bluetooth light was out on the Cerbo. I had to go all the way back to 2.89 firmware to get the bluetooth to come back on and for the tags to show up again.. what the hell's going on with this firmware you pushed last month Victron?

1 comment
2 |3000

micke-holm avatar image micke-holm commented ·
I have the same problem, Bluetooth works great with v2.89 but when update to 2.90 or above Bluetooth is gone. I can’t even find it in the menu. Something is really strange
0 Likes 0 ·
aly avatar image
aly answered ·

Added Kinivo BTD400 to middle usb port. Blue light light up, Cerbo GX shows up the list when scanning.

However, not sure if it working, for testing, I can see it on bluetooth list on my mac. If I try to connect to it, it ask to pair the unit,

However it want to pair, providing me the code but BTD400 unit doesn't accept the pairing. VictronConnect app doesn't give me the option to accept pairing or to enter a pin. Running 2.90 os on cerbo gx.

1 comment
2 |3000

aly avatar image aly commented ·
oops version is 2.92
0 Likes 0 ·