question

klaus-deiss avatar image
klaus-deiss asked

Several questions to BMV700

First of all I want to say how happy I'm that I bought my first Victron product and entered a new world.

Since years I know the blue products but I never knew that they have venus OS. The VRM portal and sooo much more.

Thank you guys!

But of course some questions. I have several systems in Germany and Gambia.

On my weekend camp I have a small system with cheap chinese crap and I just added one victron BMV700 and changed that into a smart installation.

I'm running Venus OS Large on a PI3. I feed the portal via a mobile connection with 64KB speed, the required bandwidth is absolutely ok for the victron data.

Now I can control everything in direction battery. At night I even can measure the consume of a single bulb or a radio inside my caravan, even it is just one Watt. The shunt works so precise, really impressing.

What I would like to have of course is, also to have control over the PV input, or my total DC load.

So I'm thinking about a second shunt. Either another BMV700 or a "smart shunt". I read here in the forum that it is possible to declare a second shunt as DC load, so that Venus OS is not doing no calculations on the receiving data. Just measure V and A and done! Would be great.

I could place the second shunt so that it measures the input coming from the charge controller. Or is it better to place it at the exit in direction inverter/DC load of my caravan?

The missing value in both cases I could calculate inside a flow within RedNode. I've created already some flows for my mobile where I display the for me most important data of the system.

I know that this way I cannot see the losses of the system which I would see if I would use a victron inverter (as AC load). But maybe is even better not to see the loss ;-)

Would the DC load be displayed inside the vrm portal?

If I would buy a "smart shunt" with bluetooth, could the connection to the PI3 base on bluetooth (like this fantastic roovi tags, currently I'm using 4 of them).

Or I have to use a USB VE cable like the connection to the BMV700?

I have another question regarding the BMV700. I'm using sealed acid batteries and observed that after the system reports a full charge still a lot of current goes in direction batterie.

And also another effect, every morning the SOC suddenly jumps to 100%. I saw that one can adjust that inside the setup (which has to be done on the BMV, it has some buttons which allows one to change several settings).

I read here in the forum that one should set another value there, some even set it to 14.4. So the manual recommends a value bit smaller than that.

So which value is best for sealed acid?

Thanks for advice!

Klaus

BMV Battery MonitorSmartShuntbattery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klaus-deiss avatar image
klaus-deiss answered ·

Maybe I talked to much and at the end nobody knows what is the question.....

Second shunt. I read here in the forum that it is possible to declare a second shunt as DC load only, what is the best solution for that, annother BMV7xx or a "smart shunt"?

Would the DC load be displayed inside the vrm portal?

If I would buy "smart shunt" product I need another USB VE cable or I can connect it to my venus device via Bluetooth directly?

What is the optimal "Charged Voltage setting" for sealed acid batteries?

tia

Klaus

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.