question

greg-1 avatar image
greg-1 asked

No BMV - no battery warranty?

My potential distributor just informed me, that "the BMV is the basis for a warranty claim for the batteries in the event of a complaint. (No BMV - no guarantee)". Is that true?

The setup:

VICTRON - BlueSolar MPPT 100/50

VICTRON - Lithium SuperPack 12,8V/60Ah

VICTRON - VE.Direct to USB-Interface

VICTRON - Orion DC-DC - 12V->24V 20A

The distributor suggested adding the BMV-712. Unfortunately this is not an option because the system will be used to power an satellite tracking antenna working in 2.4GHz (amateur S-band), so no Bluetooth devices can be present.

BMV Battery Monitorbattery
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

For my peace of mind, I download the history log from my mppt monthly.

History includes daily min/max battery voltages, charge states achieved, daily pv energy yield. Certainly enough info should the battery need a warranty claim. (now if we could also get daily min/max temp on the mppt log, would be ideal)

0 Likes 0 ·
greg-1 avatar image greg-1 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Actually I intended to monitor the system with a Raspberry Pi (running Ubuntu, not Victron's OS). But maybe the BMV is also necessary for that, as mentioned in the description of this monitoring software: https://david.mercereau.info/motclef/raspberry-pi/

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I really don't think the battery warranty will be affected by the presence or not of a BMV.
It seems to me that your dealer is trying to upsell.
A system like you describe should not need a BMV. The SuperPack has inbuilt protections anyway.

BTW, you could use a BMV-702 or BMV-700 without Bluetooth.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image
kai answered ·

Agree, although I wonder the distributor is confusing BMV with BMS (which is kind of a red flag in itself) for a different product. When I got my LiFePo cells, they came with a similar warning that they have to be used in conjunction with a BMS and warranty will need to be supported by data from the BMS (paraphrasing, its been a while)

Presumably as a precautionary measure on the part of the vendor to limit misuse/abuse of cells.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

I had wondered if there was any BMV / BMS confusion, but as Grg said, the distributor specified a BMV-712, so that cleared up any confusion in my mind.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic