question

sweyn avatar image
sweyn asked

Main battery switch before Lynx distribution system?

I notice in the various Victron produced circuit diagrams for the Lynx system, they never put a main system switch before the Lynx distribution system/Lynx Smart BMS, however most actual people building seem to fit a physical switch between the battery and the Lynx.

Is there a reason why I should fit a physical switch?

I’m assuming people don’t like relying on the software controlled contactor In the Lynx Smart BMS?

Is this just aversion to change, or is there a good reason such as a regulatory requirment?79400d65-8b4c-4b88-a223-1ff2d0ad20b4.png

lynx distributorswitchvirtual switch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Sweyn again,

The Lynx Smart BMS has a remote on/off port to which you can connect a simple physical switch (as opposed to a soft switch via VictronConnect or a GX device) and then use it as the main system switch. The only drawback is that it still draws power, albeit at a negligible rate of about 0.50 mA.

If you don't want that, or want to isolate the batteries from the rest of the system, then use a system main switch on the battery side (note the current rating). That's how I did it in one of my systems.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sweyn avatar image
sweyn answered ·

Thank you Stefanie, again very helpful!

2 |3000

momahmoud avatar image
momahmoud answered ·

total1.jpgLink to our store

We have made enclosed 600A Battery Disconnect Switch to fit the Lynx DC Distribution systems M8, very helpful in Lynx installations.

MeadoTech Ltd United Kingdom

total1.jpg (1016.6 KiB)
sequence-01.mp4 (26.4 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

jallis avatar image jallis commented ·
And the selling price for this switch is 470 pounds???

Is it made of *gold* or what?

0 Likes 0 ·
os2dude avatar image
os2dude answered ·

If the system is in a boat, the American Yacht Builders Counsel (AYBC) requires an emergency main cutoff switch after the battery bank. I've noticed Van & RV systems tend to follow similar guidelines.

2 |3000

KämpingVan Conversions OÜ avatar image
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ answered ·

We usually add the main switch before the Lynx System along with the other cut-off switches in the diagram, but for mainly maintenance reasons. Just to make sure we can easily but certainly disconnect the batteries and the power if we are working on the system. Also for example if there is a need to change the MEGA fuses in the Lynx Distributor it is just a bit safer to disconnect the battery bank for a moment and change out the fuse.

Of course you have to keep in mind that most main switches are rated for around 300A, so if your system is larger, you need to source a better main switch.

BR,

KampingVan

2 |3000

Related Resources

Lynx Distributor product page

Lynx Power In product page

Lynx Shunt VE.Can product page

Lynx Smart BMS product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE Configure/Virtual Switch

Ignore AC input using the Generator Assistant