question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

Phoenix VE Direct on VRM

I'm considering buying a Phoenix VE Direct Inverter to load test individual batteries . Do you get the input current and voltage ( DC ) values on the VRM once connected via Venus GX? Just need to know before I buy the unit?

VRMPhoenix InverterVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Merle,

I would not recommend this application. The current sensor readings on the VE.Direct inverters is not accurate enough for testing.

A BMV-700 connected to a VGX would be far better.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

I can understand that accuracy may not be great but do you think its consistent / repeatable?. Can use multimeter to do spot reading checks

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

It is much more practical to use a Multiplus / Quattro for this, you can use ESS to charge / discharge the batteries and use a BMV to count the amps.

BMV is the only way to accurately count the amps.

0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

I want to test each 12V battery separately ( have 48V MP ) in a repeatable way in order to compare discharge characteristics with each other and published manufactures curves

2 |3000

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Will not work - have 2 banks of 4x 12V batteries 48V system - need to test each 12 V separately

2 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

find someone with a 12v system you can use.

or use a battery tester like a Powerlab 8

0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image PeterM boekel ♦ commented ·

Unfortunately not easily found in Africa

0 Likes 0 ·