question

aboveaverageant avatar image
aboveaverageant asked

Connecting MPPT's in Series

Hi everyone, I'm trying to use two different MPPT's for my solar panel set up. My panels are 6A and 150V total. I'm planning on having two different arrays of roughly 6A each of 100V and 50V connected to two different MPPTs. I was just wondering if putting the two MPPTs in series with each other would be an okay idea and what if anything I would need to do to do this?

The reason why I have to use two is that the MPPTs have a much lower wattage rating than the array of 600W and 400W each. I understand that having them be in parallel is a much more optimal solution but I can't do that since I'm using two different MPPTs with different voltage outputs.

The two MPPTs I'm using are https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/smartsolar-mppt-75-10-75-15-100-15-100-20#victronconnect-downloads and https://www.emarineinc.com/AERL-RACEMAX-MAXIMIZER-MPPT-Solar-Car-Controller-600B. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MPPT ControllersVictronConnectSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

No idea about the other brand but the Victron MPPT can handle higher wattage panels and just clip to the max current it can handle, UP TO A POINT. Maybe 10-15% extra, i wouldn't push it more than that.

Connecting them in series to a battery is definitely not a good idea!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aboveaverageant avatar image aboveaverageant commented ·
Great, thanks so much for your help. I'll probably just stick with the one MPPT then.
1 Like 1 ·
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

The AERL looks like a very specific type of MPPT controller for high battery voltage environments….

Not sure what your current circumstances are and battery voltages but for optimum performance using the Victron products I would suggest two MPPT controllers, with identical configuration, configured to synchronise their charge using VE.Smart Bluetooth network.

Agree fully with @pau1phi11ips connecting them in series is not a good idea.

1 comment
2 |3000

aboveaverageant avatar image aboveaverageant commented ·
Great thank you so much for your help much appreciated. My battery voltage is around 140V, to large for the Victron MPPT to handle. I'll probably just stick with the one.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows