question

cv05 avatar image
cv05 asked

MPPT Solar Charger - Remote Monitoring with WiFi

I have a few MPPT 75/15 at various locations and want to be able to remote monitor. I'm aware that you need to add in a GX device or a Raspberry PI to achieve this, but to pay $400 for a GX unit just to monitor is insane and the Rasberry PI's aren't supported.

It seems a shame to have a perfectly good 4 port 4G router sitting right next to the the MPPT 75/15 and to not be able to use it. Since the MPPT controller can talk to Victron Connect via Bluetooth, what's stopping Victron from allowing it to talk to Victron Connect via Ethernet or Wifi?

MPPT ControllersVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @CV05,

the MPPTs don't have Ethernet or Wifi hardware, thus cannot speak that language.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cv05 avatar image
cv05 answered ·

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm aware of that and without being an electronics engineer I just wonder how hard it would be in the future to implement a wifi module onto the board of the mppt controller. Seems like everything can be remote monitored these days.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Cv05, it wont be too hard, but a lot of work considering the many models we have and most importantly would add cost for a feature which often won’t be used.

and in the end its just a choice :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
dirkmuc avatar image
dirkmuc answered ·

Hello,

there is a project on GitHub to connect an ESP32 to a MPPT. The ESP32 has a webserver on it to monitor the device.

https://github.com/pmcg31/esp32_victron_test

Would I use it in a customer environment, may be not, but certainly it's worth trying it.

All the best.

Dirk

1 comment
2 |3000

cv05 avatar image cv05 commented ·

@dirkmuc that's good to know thanks. I've been following the raspberry pi stuff as well. As you say it'll work but you wouldn't probably implement it into a customer solution.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lasse avatar image
Lasse answered ·

Hi @CV05, depending on your location you could also use the GlobalLink 520. It's essentially a VE.Direct to VRM module that uses the 4G LTE-M network. You don't need to buy a data subscription as that comes included in the price for the first 5 years.

https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/globallink-520

1 comment
2 |3000

cv05 avatar image cv05 commented ·

@Lasse thanks for that, but that's still one hell of an expense just to remote monitor. Even dearer than a GX module!

0 Likes 0 ·