question

wirehead avatar image
wirehead asked

Support for older EM24 Energy Meters

Hi,

i trying for days now to get a EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.P (for use with CTs) to work with my setup (Venus v2.85). After testing with different RS485 USB convertes, UCS Software and BaseBlock Comtest i now know why it is NOT working. The Energymeter is manufactured in 2010, i can read the most registers via Comtest Software but i wasnt able to connect via UCS Tool from Gawazzi. The meter doesnt appear on VenusOS if it is connected via the orginal victron cable.

I find that the DeviceID that is read from 0x000B register (according to https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-cgwacs/blob/master/software/src/ac_sensor_updater.h) on this device is 47. In https://www.ccontrols.com/support/dp/CarloGavazziEM24.pdf this refers to "M24-DIN AV5 input
product code". Reffering to https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-cgwacs/blob/master/software/src/ac_sensor.cpp Line 47 the DeviceID must be 71-73 for successful connection.

Also the Device is missing Register 0x1300 (SerialNo String).

Can someone clever with coding tell me how i get the meter to work or could implement this?

I can imagine that some people had the same problems with other EM24 energiemeters they are also can be find as EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.X with the same old Firmware (r.C.00). The P only stands for MID certification.

Best Regards

Torsten

Energy Meterem24rs485power meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wirehead avatar image
wirehead answered ·

Hi,

i have purchased two other meters and they arrived yesterday.

EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.X from 2021 and

EM24-DIN.AV9.3.X.IS.X from 2013

They are working fine out of the box at the first connect.

So i suggest to be carefull with buying meters from before 2013 or firmware r.C.00 if they should work in a victron enviroment.

best regards

Torsten

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chuff avatar image
chuff answered ·

Hi, this old type of EM24 could work ; i have always used old model from 2012 but the current software from venus does not work with it. You have to connect it thru a modbus tcp/rs485 converter and then modify the pyton program carlogavazzi.py on the venus to adapt the registers.

I agree this is not a easy work and you will also change again after a venus upfate.

Sure buying a new one from Victron could be a easy solution!

1 comment
2 |3000

mucmak avatar image mucmak commented ·

Hi Chuff,

could you please share more details on your solution? I have exactly the same problem as @wirehead who startet this topic.

What Modbus TCP converter do you use and would you please show the details of your modified coding on the venus?

I really am stuck. I cant find a single available EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.X on the market. The EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.P I have is likely too old. And I urgently need a Version with a Current Transformer...

thank you!

mucmak

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Energy Meter Manual EM24 RS485

Energy Meter Selection Guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic