question

wirehead avatar image
wirehead asked

Support for older EM24 Energy Meters

Hi,

i trying for days now to get a EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.P (for use with CTs) to work with my setup (Venus v2.85). After testing with different RS485 USB convertes, UCS Software and BaseBlock Comtest i now know why it is NOT working. The Energymeter is manufactured in 2010, i can read the most registers via Comtest Software but i wasnt able to connect via UCS Tool from Gawazzi. The meter doesnt appear on VenusOS if it is connected via the orginal victron cable.

I find that the DeviceID that is read from 0x000B register (according to https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-cgwacs/blob/master/software/src/ac_sensor_updater.h) on this device is 47. In https://www.ccontrols.com/support/dp/CarloGavazziEM24.pdf this refers to "M24-DIN AV5 input
product code". Reffering to https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-cgwacs/blob/master/software/src/ac_sensor.cpp Line 47 the DeviceID must be 71-73 for successful connection.

Also the Device is missing Register 0x1300 (SerialNo String).

Can someone clever with coding tell me how i get the meter to work or could implement this?

I can imagine that some people had the same problems with other EM24 energiemeters they are also can be find as EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.X with the same old Firmware (r.C.00). The P only stands for MID certification.

Best Regards

Torsten

Energy Meterem24rs485power meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wirehead avatar image
wirehead answered ·

Hi,

i have purchased two other meters and they arrived yesterday.

EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.X from 2021 and

EM24-DIN.AV9.3.X.IS.X from 2013

They are working fine out of the box at the first connect.

So i suggest to be carefull with buying meters from before 2013 or firmware r.C.00 if they should work in a victron enviroment.

best regards

Torsten

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chuff avatar image
chuff answered ·

Hi, this old type of EM24 could work ; i have always used old model from 2012 but the current software from venus does not work with it. You have to connect it thru a modbus tcp/rs485 converter and then modify the pyton program carlogavazzi.py on the venus to adapt the registers.

I agree this is not a easy work and you will also change again after a venus upfate.

Sure buying a new one from Victron could be a easy solution!

1 comment
2 |3000

mucmak avatar image mucmak commented ·

Hi Chuff,

could you please share more details on your solution? I have exactly the same problem as @wirehead who startet this topic.

What Modbus TCP converter do you use and would you please show the details of your modified coding on the venus?

I really am stuck. I cant find a single available EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.X on the market. The EM24-DIN.AV5.3.D.IS.P I have is likely too old. And I urgently need a Version with a Current Transformer...

thank you!

mucmak

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Energy Meter Selection Guide