question

slapperia avatar image
slapperia asked

Reduce charge current based on SOC Multiplus

I want to reduce the charge current from the Multiplus II based on SOC from smartshunt using NodeRec via Cerbo.

I have tried in NodeRed but cannot find a setting to change charge current.
Have anyone tried this?
I see that I can reduce charge current via an analog in and use an assistant in the MP, but this is not a desired solution.

Any advice?

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxNode-RED
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nevller avatar image nevller commented ·

Any update on this issue ?

0 Likes 0 ·
josehoya avatar image josehoya nevller commented ·
I routinely change the charge current for my 48v MPii on my boat. I use a laptop and the mk3 usb interface to access the charger settings. I do this because I often use a small generator that I don’t want to have to operate at full throttle. I also limit the charge current because I like to slow charge my lithium bank.

The problem is that I have no other way of altering this charge current setting if my laptop dies/falls while under way/ or I’m at home and forget to set the proper charge current. Why can’t Victron add a “change charging current” tab using the Cerbo gx network. This way I could go from 30 amp charge to 10 amp charge using the remote console?

I’m trying to build some redundancy. What other options are available that are as easy as plug and play?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ josehoya commented ·
1 Like 1 ·
4 Answers
alexander-uhde avatar image
alexander-uhde answered ·

Are you using ESS? If so, you can find the setting here:

2022-02-18-12h12-37.png

2022-02-18-12h12-15.png

2022-02-18-12h11-59.png

Regards

Alex

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

slapperia avatar image slapperia commented ·

Thanks.
I can’t use ess. System is mounted in a boat so I cannot feed back to the grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

I would also like to change the charging current manually. If there was a way to change it via the console that would be great ...
Alternatively, a modbus register would also be conceivable ...
That it already works via NODE is great ... but I do not use that yet ...

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Netrange

Manual settings are available in the settings level of the GX console..1645268887050.pngOr in the Marine (MFD) app..

1645269099121.png

Coarser selections, but suit me.

0 Likes 0 ·
1645268887050.png (29.4 KiB)
1645269099121.png (80.4 KiB)
slapperia avatar image
slapperia answered ·

Input current is different from charge current.
I actually think it is strange that there is no default setting for maximum charge current at different SOC.

5 comments
2 |3000

netrange avatar image netrange commented ·

Thank you ... As mentioned above, I just do NOT want to limit the total current ... That would be inappropriate in terms of support in ESS operation with critical loads.

It is ONLY about the value of the DC charging current in mains operation.

Again the request to Victron to possibly include this in the next updates ...

Have a nice weekend

Danke ... Wie oben erwähnt möchte ich ja eben NICHT den gesamten Strom begrenzen ... Das wäre unzweckmäßig in Bezug auf die Unterstützung im ESS Betrieb mit kritischen Lasten.

Es geht NUR um den Wert des DC Ladestromes im Netzbetrieb.

Nochmals die Bitte an Victron dies möglicherweise in die nächsten Updates aufzunehmen ...

Schönes Wochenende

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ netrange commented ·

@Netrange

Apologies, my brain fade.

Manual Charge limits are available in VEConfigure (a bit clumsy), or DVCC (for a total system limit).. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html (See 8.4.1).

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image netrange JohnC ♦ commented ·

Nochmals ... Ich möchte den Ladestrom des Multis ändern ... Nicht den der Mppts ... Dvcc kann nur die mppts steuern ...

Es soll einfach über die console gehen ... Und als kleiner bonus zusätzlich als modbus register für die automatische steuerung ...

Again ... I would like to change the charging current of the multi ... Not that of the mppts ... Dvcc can only control the mppts ...

It should just go through the console ... And as a little bonus additionally as modbus register for the automatic control ...

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ netrange commented ·
Seems you didn't bother with the DVCC manual. And if you have ESS, that one either.
0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image netrange JohnC ♦ commented ·

Dvcc Manual

WhenWhen 'DC-coupled PV feed-in excess' is enabled with ESS, the DVCC system will not apply the DVCC charge current limit from PV to battery. This is behaviour is necessary to allow the export. Charge voltage limits will still apply.

Charge current limits set at the individual solar charger device settings level will also still apply

Wenn "DC-gekoppelter PV-Einspeiseüberschuss" mit ESS aktiviert ist, wendet das DVCC-System die DVCC-Ladestrombegrenzung von der PV zur Batterie nicht an. Dieses Verhalten ist notwendig, um den Export zu ermöglichen. Die Ladespannungsgrenzen gelten weiterhin.

[Die auf der Ebene der individuellen Einstellungen des Solarladegeräts festgelegten Ladestromgrenzwerte gelten ebenfalls weiterhin

0 Likes 0 ·
slapperia avatar image
slapperia answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Hey Guy. Would this be something you can implement in future updates?

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Slapperia,

I am not sure I understand the point of this feature?

There are several work arounds using existing custom modification methods listed above by others, (DVCC, Node Red and MODbus TCP, best to open a new thread in the modifications space if you want more help with those). There may even be a method using the general flag in a VEConfigure assistant.

In most use cases the target voltage will ensure charging current is sufficient but not excessive according to what the battery can absorb. Excess current will raise the voltage above the target, and the multi will reduce the current to maintain the target voltage.

There are some exceptions to that, such as a lithium battery with very low internal resistance, but that is not dependent on the battery state of charge, and current will need to be controlled regardless.

What are you trying to achieve?

0 Likes 0 ·
slapperia avatar image slapperia Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi.
My target is to set a lower charge rate for the battery’s when SOC reaches for example 70% to persevere battery life.

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image netrange Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello Guy

Is there a possibility to change the value of the DC charging current directly via Modbus ?

I don't use NODE RED but work with Siemens LOGO 8 and Modbus TCP.

I think at the moment this is only possible via detours ...

Thank you ...

Hallo Guy

Gäbe es denn eine Möglichkeit direkt über Modbus den Wert des DC Ladestromes zu ändern ?
Ich nutzte kein NODE RED sondern arbeite mit Siemens LOGO 8 und Modbus TCP

Ich denke, im Moment geht dies nur über Umwege ...

Danke

Nachtrag:

Schalte jetzt den Ladestrom zwischen 1 und 9 Ampere um. Dies geschieht über den ungenutzten Temp.-Eingang und das Relais 1 vom Venus ... unter Nutzung des Ladestromassistenten ... das Relais kann ich ja über Modbus ansteuern ... :)

Addendum:

Now switch the charging current between 1 and 9 amps. This is done via the unused temp. input and relay 1 from Venus ... using the charging current assistant ... The Relais, I can control via Modbus ... :)

0 Likes 0 ·