question

jonmarinello avatar image
jonmarinello asked

VictronConnect 5.54 DOA on macOS Monterey 12.2

Crashes when attempting to connect to Shunts and chargers. Each new release seems to be much more unreliable than the last. I'm really starting to get frustrated with the lack of support for the Mac.

WHEN IS VICTRON GOING TO FIX ALL THESE CRASHES???

VictronConnect
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonmarinello avatar image jonmarinello commented ·
I just conformed that I cannot connect too any of my Victron device without the application crashing while trying to connect. This latest release of the VictronCOnnect application on the Mac is COMPLETELY BORKED.
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, fixed. v5.55 was released this morning. Thank you @jonmarinello@gmail.com for the quick report and help to get it sorted!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Happy to help! Downloaded, installed, and tested. Crash fix confirmed.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

This issue has been raised many times here in the community since the release of macOS 12. Victron has already commented on this and clearly stated that the problem lies with Apple and that there is currently hardly any possibility of eliminating the problem in the short term. 12.2 makes no difference.

I think there is no need for a new thread since everything has already been said about it. A search results in the following threads:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/112318/bluetooth-compatibility-on-mac-os-151-still-broken.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/115800/victron-connect-on-ios-121-monterey-is-not-connect.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/106551/is-victronconnect-stable-on-macos-1201.html

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi Stephanie,

You are confusing two completely distinct problems.

The problem you are referring to has to do with connecting to a victron device for the first time and needing to enter the bluetooth pin and it is just ignored. That is not what this posting is referring to.

In my case, I have been using this computer to access devices that were setup long ago and have always worked fine until 5.54. Now, VictronConnect just crashes as soon as it tries to connect to existing previously working devices. THIS IS A NEW REGRESSION IN 5.54. And it make the application utterly useless.

I am familiar with the threads you posted. This is not the same issue. BTW - the first link results in a 404 error.

Can someone from Victron please respond ASAP?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ jonmarinello commented ·

Hello Jon,

no, I am not confusing anything. Until the update to macOS 12.2 I also had a device that luckily still worked because it was paired via Bluetooth before the update to Monterey.

In my opinion it was only a matter of time before this device also stopped working due to subsequent macOS updates. It worked wonderfully with macOS 12.1 AND VictronConnect 5.54, unfortunately not with 12.2.

While I'm not a programmer, it's clear that Victron software developers are stuck here without Apple's help. And they don't seem to be getting that support at the moment. So we have to be patient, as frustrating as that can be sometimes.

edit: fixed the broken link

0 Likes 0 ·
jonmarinello avatar image jonmarinello Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
With respect. I am a programmer with over 35 years experience. These application crashes are Victron's responsibility. Period.

Their app should never crash.

Again, can we get a Victron representative to respond to this thread ASAP.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevinvh avatar image
kevinvh answered ·

This has gone from bad to worse. Now not seeing BMV712 Smart or MPPT 250/100 since update to VictronConnect 5.54 with Monterey 12.2.

It has been 2 months now since the pin code stopped working on both devices since the changeover to Monterey, and now VictronConnect cannot see the devices at all.

How much longer do we have to wait before Victron and Apple get this mess sorted out? Please Victron - fix this issue urgently.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

MacOS Monterey V12.2

VictronConnect 5.54

1 comment
2 |3000

Agreed.

Victron:

These crashes are instantly and reliably reproducible.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Install VictronConnect 5.54 on a Mac running Monterey 12.2.
  2. Attempt to connect to any existing Victron device (BMV-712, any solar controller, shunt or charger.
  3. VicrtronConnect crashes.
  4. Rinse and repeat while debugging.

Then fix this bug and get a point release our ASAP.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think if this crashes would be that easy to fix Victron would have already fixed them.

1 comment
2 |3000

Not a useful post.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, I can confirm that a bug was made in VictronConnect v5.54, related to Monterey, causing the crash. Or more precisely: it brings back the crash that was first fixed in another recent version.

My apologies for this, it should not happen.

We'll release a new version that fixes this real soon.

I do have to warn - unfortunately - that we're not close at all to fixing the pairing issue in combination with Apple macOS Monterey, for which this is the main thread on Community:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/112318/bluetooth-compatibility-on-mac-os-151-still-broken.html

I've just now clearly mentioned both issues in the VictronConnect change log.

4 comments
2 |3000

mvader: Thanks for getting back to us and for the honesty. Appreciate you addressing this. Please post a link to the proposed fix and I can test and confirm the crash (and only the crash is fixed).

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ jonmarinello commented ·

Hi @jonmarinello@gmail.com , it went quicker than I thought: a version to test is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf22nqwjph8jzww/VictronConnect.dmg?dl=0

Its version 5.55.

0 Likes 0 ·
jonmarinello avatar image jonmarinello mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Downloaded and tested. Your fix has addressed the crash I reported this morning. Please get that pushed out ASAP. Thanks for the very fast turn-around mvader!
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ jonmarinello commented ·
Yes, release is already in progress. Thank you for the report and quick replies today.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources