question

vtcamper avatar image
vtcamper asked

Is VictronConnect stable on MacOS 12.0.1 ?

Just upgraded my Mac to 12.0.1. The Victron Connect App (V5.49) loads , finds my BMV-712 but crashes consistently at the 20% mark when connecting. Was working fine on MacOS Big Sur. Anyone else encountered this or know how to get it to work ?

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi all,

VictronConnect 5.52 has been released and is available in the app store. This fixes the crash when connecting to an already paired product: a Victron product to which a connection has been established already before.

Note that this does not fix the pairing problem to a new product in macOS 12. We are still working on that, more on that issue here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/112318/bluetooth-compatibility-on-mac-os-151-still-broken.html.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

K.J Kumar avatar image
K.J Kumar answered ·

Sorry to know that Victron Connect crashes upon opening in your OS X device.

I have 2 OS X devices (mid 2011 and mid 2012) 2011 High Sierra and 2012 on Catalina respectively. My iPhone (Gen10) and 2 other iOS devices, works well with Victron Connect, well.

It'll work on your system too. try.. good luck.

2 |3000

vtcamper avatar image
vtcamper answered ·

Noticed that it appears to work as an admin user, but not as an ordinary user. Prior to 12.0.1 it worked fine as an ordinary user.

Found an installer for 5.48beta and it does work as an ordinary user.

2 |3000

vtcamper avatar image
vtcamper answered ·

a little more experimenting :

* 5.49 from app store in /Applications -> fails, either crashes at 20% or can't find device

* 5.49 copied from /Applications to ~/Desktop -> runs

* 5.48beta in ~/Desktop -> runs

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, we tried the same, and indeed it worked once. But not a second time. Tested on a M1 macbook.

And various other issues, like hanging on a BLE connection at 80%.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @vtcamper , indeed, we also noticed that there is an issue to use VictronConnect on the new macOS. We’re working on it.

Right now, VictronConnect does not work reliable on the new macOS, ie macOS 12 aka Monterey.

Thanks also for the additional test results! I’ll keep you posted.

3 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi an update, besides crashing, also the BLE pairing doesn’t work. Fixing it is no trivial: this might take a while, unfortunately

so anyone thats here to check if he should update his macOS: better wait a while.

0 Likes 0 ·
erutan avatar image erutan mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Have you been able to test the current victron app build against the 12.1 developer release candidate?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

This was the main thread.
0 Likes 0 ·
raymiller avatar image
raymiller answered ·

It would seem that MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 has some issues (understatement), I had Microsoft excel memory issues depending on the machine, and the Firefox browser consumes massive battery energy... it would appear the next macOS Beta is being worked on and hopefully solving most issues without creating any more.

2 |3000

driftwood7 avatar image
driftwood7 answered ·

You are not alone. The 20% crash and disappear issue happens on my M1 Macbook as well as 2021 MAC desktop with Monterey V12.01

This is the error report from the desktop.

Any news yet on the software update being released?

Dave

Translated Report.txt

Full Report.txt

full-report.txt (25.4 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
I edited your comment and added text files for the reports.
0 Likes 0 ·
driftwood7 avatar image driftwood7 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
wysiwyg avatar image
wysiwyg answered ·

Same issue here, Victron Connect crashing at 20% on Mac OS 12.1 Monterey Macbook Pro.

Is this a Victron issue or apple issue and when will be fixed?

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, an update:

We found a solution for the crashes. This will be in VictronConnect v5.52. Currently available as a beta, and we’re working towards an official release for that. Hopefully within one or two weeks.

The other problem of macOS 12, Monterey, is the pairing of a new device. This is broken in Monterey so connection can only be established with products that were already paired before updating to Monterey. We’re working on that, with Apple, but there is no solution on the horizon yet. Also the macOS 12.1 update of Dec 13th didn’t fix that.

2 comments
2 |3000

philippe avatar image philippe commented ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy)

Spotted the same issue today.

Mac OS v12.0.1 (MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018))
VictronConnect v5.51

VC crashes at the 20%. This is only for the BT devices. Connection over USB with MK3 is working fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
philippe avatar image philippe commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Tested today: MacOS 12.0.1 and Victronconnect v5.52beta2
A strange behaviour. Once closed the beta version and reopen the V5.51, it works.

0 Likes 0 ·
greg-johnson avatar image
greg-johnson answered ·

Tried the 5.52beta, and crashing still occurring on monterey (M1). Anywhere we can submit logs if that is helpful? Previous version I had was running just find on the same OS so I think this is a regression in VIctronConnect

2 |3000

brkcro avatar image
brkcro answered ·

I just downloaded 5.52 from the app store, SFSG...let's ck again, be right back...yep still work'n. screen-shot-2022-01-05-at-45302-pm.jpeg

2 |3000

Related Resources