question

marv2097 avatar image
marv2097 asked

Incorrect voltage reading on DC-DC Charger

Hi,

I have an Orion 12|24-15 Non Iso DC-DC charger. Its input is a 12v starter battery on a Sprinter and the output is a 24v Li-Ion pack and they share a common ground.

I have been seeing strange charging issues and over-voltage alarms. On closer inspection the voltage shown in the app for the Orion doesn't match what I measure at its terminals with a meter.

These 2 images show the exact same time but a difference of 0.35v. Its been worse than this on other occasions and reads both under and over randomly.

Has anyone seen this kind of issue before on a DC/DC? Its on the latest FW, could it be a fault in the unit or my setup?

screenshot-20211110-131959.pngpxl-20211110-132014623.jpg

Additional Info

All Bluetooth devices have the latest firmware available in the Victron App.

As I am measuring at the terminals I dont expect cable or connector losses to be an issue here. I also have a good bit of other Victron kit on the same 24v side which all agree with the multi-meter consistently under < .1v difference . All the kit is connected on the 24v Side via a Lynx distribution unit with cable well within its ratings. Connection tightness double checked. As mentioned earlier sometimes the voltage in the DC-DC app reads over sometimes under and it seems to move around day to day.

Heres a comparison of readings:

Device Reported Voltage
Orion 12|24 - 15 (Output) 24.2
MPPT Smart Solar 23.88
Orion 24|12 - 30 (Input) 23.9
Smart Shunt 23.85
Multimeter 23.85

Any advice or questions welcome. Many Thanks!

Martin.

battery chargingOrion DC-DC Converters not smartvoltagecampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
melgamal avatar image
melgamal answered ·

I'm having the same issue, the output is showing exactly like you 24.2V however the output is 21.6!! It's stuck in absorbtion charge. The other orion charger is working as normal.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

melgamal avatar image
melgamal answered ·

Figured it out. in my case it was an open circuit due to a loose connection

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC-DC converters product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic